Possible CPU's in Dell Latitude D600?

Don't ask how to over-clock.
nitro2k01
New visitors - please read the rules.

I'm considering changing the CPU in my Dell Latitude D600. If CPUZ is telling the truth, the CPU is a Pentium M in a Socket 479, clocked at 1.6 GHz, and with an FSB of 400 MHz.
Heat problems apart, what CPU's can I put in it? Is a higher FSB a problem?
Say, hypothetically, that I put a Core Duo/Core 2 Duo in it. What would happen? Would it totally refuse to start? Would it start but BIOS would complain? Would it start, but with only one core available?

How about a Pentium M with FSB=533 MHz? How would it work out?

Answers from people with experience would be appreciated.
cp
BIOS Guru

Is a higher FSB a problem?
depends on the chipset. but i guess intel 855/915/6300 can handle 133MHz FSB. please report back with the chipset, just to make sure.
Say, hypothetically, that I put a Core Duo/Core 2 Duo in it.
not pin compatible. the only cpus you could use are: pentium m, celeron m and via c7 (if you can get one).
nitro2k01

The chipset is i855GM. CPUZ says Bus speed=100 MHz, Rated FSB=400 MHz and the memory frequency is 133 MHz.
When you say not pin compatible, exactly what do you mean? Will it still fit into the socket? Or are there different versions of socket 479?
And, assuming that the sockets are not too different to fit, what would actually happen if you'd simply stick a Core 2 Duo into this machine?

For example, I have experience with Thinkpad 600E, whose chipset was made for P-II's, but still you could put a P-III in it. And even though the P-III was not identified as such by BIOS, or officially supported it worked with some quirks.
cp
BIOS Guru

The chipset is i855GM. CPUZ says Bus speed=100 MHz, Rated FSB=400 MHz and the memory frequency is 133 MHz.
Intel i855GM only supports 100MHz FSB which is FSB400.
When you say not pin compatible, exactly what do you mean? Will it still fit into the socket? Or are there different versions of socket 479?
Socket 479: Pentium M /Celeron M / VIA C7
Socket M: Intel Core CPUs

you can not insert or run an intel core processor in the socket 479.

btw. the chipset in the Thinkpad is a plain Intel 440BX chipset which is capable of dealing with Intel PII and PIII out of the box since the PIII is pin-compatible with the PII. the problem with the PIII and the Thinkpad is the BIOS which doesn't switch on L2 caches on the processor because it doesn't recognize its cpu id (and simply does nothing instead of the standard procedure). afaik the pin-mod. simply forces the pll and the chipset to 100MHz FSB, that's all.
nitro2k01

cp wrote:
Intel i855GM only supports 100MHz FSB which is FSB400.
So, not even an FSB533 would work... Damn! :cry:
cp wrote:Socket 479: Pentium M /Celeron M / VIA C7
Socket M: Intel Core CPUs

you can not insert or run an intel core processor in the socket 479.
This shop claims both their Core CPU's and Celeron M's are using socket 479.
http://www.webhallen.com/list.php?avd=3 ... &genre=887
Admittedly, I only checked that one shop, but what you're saying is that that must be a typo on their behalf?
cp wrote:btw. the chipset in the Thinkpad is a plain Intel 440BX chipset which is capable of dealing with Intel PII and PIII out of the box since the PIII is pin-compatible with the PII. the problem with the PIII and the Thinkpad is the BIOS which doesn't switch on L2 caches on the processor because it doesn't recognize its cpu id (and simply does nothing instead of the standard procedure). afaik the pin-mod. simply forces the pll and the chipset to 100MHz FSB, that's all.
Yep. Been there, done that. :twisted:

cp
BIOS Guru