problems with 300gl

Don't ask how to over-clock.
500r420
New visitors - please read the rules.

I purchased a motherboard to fix an old computer. I tried to install a pentium 3 coppermine 600 but no response
(hard drive spins, no beep, fans power)
it did work with one of 4 p3 katmai 500s but required a bios update in order to pass the bios setup
I created a bootable disk with an ibm program which autmoatically executed in the bios setup because of an ibm software (update to v31a)
the flash program loaded but gave me a error "Not enough memory"
there is 256mb pc100 (i think) installed, 20gb hd, radeon 7500 agp
there are two switchboard labeled sw1 and sw2, the first with 4 and the second with 8 switches, all set to off
it is a slot 1 motherboard (possibly micro atx) FRU 61H22470
can anyone help get the coppermine to work with the motherboard?
or at least the bios update to work?
I am relatively new to working with computers so I may not be familiar with some terms you might use in your response.
Thanks!
David
stephan_g
BIOS Newbie

This very much smells like the motherboard cannot provide low enough core voltages (less than 1.8 V), so CuMines would only work with slight overvoltage on a slot adapter providing voltage adjustments.

As for the out of memory message, this was probably referring to conventional (DOS) memory (I assume the flash program is DOS based). I assume the boot disk (it came as a complete image that was written to an empty floppy, right?) uses some version of PC DOS, so one would need to improve memory use there (but do NOT in any case use memory managers like EMM386 that put the CPU in V86 mode, low-level stuff like BIOS flashers usually requires plain real mode). Still, one would think that these disks should have been tested.
Occasionally an out of memory error can also be triggered by things like an unrecognized flash rom or other stuff going wrong.
If the BIOS update was meant to be added to an already present boot disk and you used, say, a WinME disk (also included in XP/2k3), try an old version of DOS, maybe MS-DOS 6.22. (You can find boot disk images for many operating systems on the web.)
ex old_shtuff (really couldn't remember this, I'd been away for too long...)
500r420

Thanks for your response Stephan-G.
The programs writes all of the boot files to an empty disk and it loads automatically from bios setup. The disk has no .bin file on it and I am pretty sure I cant boot up a floppy that is not an ibm bios update disk, as I cannot pass bios setup

The motherboard is fairly new, as it has agp 4x, so i cant imagine it not supporting a coppermine. Is there anyway I can get it to work or do I need a new board? Can you suggest a micro atx motherboard which will support my processor which I can buy extremely cheaply used (like on ebay?)
stephan_g
BIOS Newbie

Did you buy the board from this seller?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 241&fkxs=1
(Not many more hits with this FRU.)
There it says 61H2569, which would be the mamaboard for a 300GL 6563/93 or 6574/74. You should still be able to find docs for these at IBM. It does indeed look like there's an VIA Apollo Pro 133 or 133A on the board; that the BIOS (from early 2000 at that, where Coppermines up to cB0 stepping were out already) would not know a PIII-600 is rather strange with such a relatively new board. Could you tell us the S-Spec of the processor?
ex old_shtuff (really couldn't remember this, I'd been away for too long...)
500r420

aye, thats the one

im not sure what s spec means, but the processor is marked
600 (frequency)
256 (l2 cache i think, on die)
133 (fsb im pretty sure)
1.65 (voltage)
s1 (the s spec you were looking for???)

99410305-0455 MALAY
i(m)(c) 99 SL3NB

it works on the mainboard my computer came with, but the system hangs during xp setup and it ids as 300mhz pentium pro (not sure actual frequency it was running at)

edit: oh poo poo
i think i toasted the coppermine
it wont work on the original motherboard
probably from trying it on several motherboards which dont support that voltage? (ive got a few older slot 1 motherboards and it only worked on the original micro atx)
well, any advice on flashing the bios so I can run the katmai at least, and then a coppermine when i buy one?
500r420

so, does anyone have some ideas?