QDI Platinix 2E CPU upgrade

Don't ask how to over-clock.
Bollit
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have a QDI Platinix 2E motherboard (i845E chipset) with a P4 2.4 Ghz and I have upgraded the bios to version 2.2, which says it supports FSB 800 Mhz (Intel official site says i845E supports a maximum of 533 Mhz for FSB, though). Can I upgrade the CPU to a P4 3 Ghz 800 FSB?
Thanks.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

I really doubt this board will stable operate at 200 MHz FSB. Also this board does not seem to support anything newer than Northwood-based CPU and I see no mention of Hyper-Threading support.

Thus you are sticked to Northwood P4 or Celeron without Hyper-Threading. The only way to get more spped out of your system is to overclock your FSB and memory speed.
Bollit

Thanks for your answer. The BIOS update says that support for Hyper Threading and 800 Mhz is added. So shouldn't I be able to install a 3 Ghz CPU with 800 FSB?
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Ah, I overlooked the Hyper-Threading support in Bios 1.4.

Again, there's no guarantee a FSB800/200 MHz CPU will work stable as this chipset is only designed for FSB533/133 MHz, thus you are driving such a CPU with overclocking you mainboard. And you also need memory capable of runnign at this speed.

And you need a Northwood P4, newer Prescott or other versions like Pentium D are not supported.
Kamo

Hi Bollit, I have attempted same upgrade with the same 3GHz Northwood P4 CPU (800FSB) and exact same QDI mobo. I am experiencing hangs when under load (Prime95 stress test) in Windows 2003. Though, it is running OK when Windows is just idling.

The temps are OK - it idles in Windows at 38 deg C which is quite good for that speed of CPU. I have a good cooling system with copper based Heatsink/Fan.

When I run it with an XP Pro hard disk it just hangs a few seconds after the boot up.

I tried a repair install with Windows 2003, but had to clock it down to 2GHz to get this to work (kept hanging at 7 mins to completion). But this doesn't help when clocked back to 3GHz, ie same problems occur.

I have a 300W PSU which may be insufficient, but I've removed all but the bare bones components from the system (ie memory stick, 2 PCI cards, 2nd HD, DVD drive, floppy drive) which I think would have left enough residual power for the higher speed CPU.

The CPU works fine when clocked at 2GHz.

At 3GHz there are no errors reported at any time, just the hang. It says at POST - 'HT detected and enabled'.

I have BIOS v2.2SLCP April 24, 2003, which supports 800FSB. The mobo manual says P4 HT socket 478 CPU's are supported.

I would at least be interested to know why it is not working. QDI do not appear to have any direct technical support.

Would be interested to know how you got on with yours and what you found out.