Socket 7 200mhz pentium MMX on GA-586ATS

Don't ask how to over-clock.
zapbuzz
BIOS Rookie

Well, although I've used the correct jumpers, it swings 100-133 mhz on cold boot and 75-100 mhz with turbo mode deactivated before cold boot.
This is a genuine intel 200mhz MMX processor lol.
This is the second mobo to do this on metoo!
last was a pc partner super 7.
Is the bios or chipset not programmed to accept these or is it a moresinister error/bug??? (EG: Clock crystal fault)
Such huge landfill new tech costs when all we need is scaleability.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

I've never heard of a CPU "swinging" like that. They can be off if the motherboard jumpering is not correct, but I can't imagine what would make it do what you seem to suggest...
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

In short, maybe a damaged mainboard. Look for broken tracks. Below is an experience I had recently that leads me to this analysis.

A computer I was working on recently had inconsistencies between what the BIOS Setup and BIOS POST were showing for the CPU settings. There were also some smaller inconsistencies within each of these readings themselves when attempting to troubleshoot this area by trying both manual settings and CMOS clears. I also found that a clean installation of Windows would consistently lock up at a certain point during the installation.

This was an MSI board. At first I thought the problem was a buggy BIOS, but when O/S install lockups became an obvious problem and I discovered the clear CMOS jumpers were bent (when I went to change them and had trouble getting the bridge on properly) I also discovered that the tracks in front of these pins had some damage and came to the conclusion that these damaged tracks were causing these problems.

The unit was exchanged and the shop must have known at some stage that there was some kind of problem with the system as it had a red x on the casing which looked faded as if someone had tried to remove it. I don't know whether they thought the system was OK when they removed that mark or not. The guy at the shop said load setup defaults should not be used as it upsets the CPU settings, but I thought that was really strange.
zapbuzz
BIOS Rookie

Thanks forthe advice bro.
I looked it over then i reinstalled previous patches.
It recognises only 4.50pg Award version.
although the ESCD update display has been replaced by an unknown bios error, it works fine and windows updates it automatically. 8)
Such huge landfill new tech costs when all we need is scaleability.