Supermicro S2DGR & buggy AMIBIOS

Don't ask how to over-clock.
Phantom
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello people,

I have a Supermicro S2DGR mainboard with 2x PIIXeon-400\512k. Just recently I've managed to upgrade CPUs to 2xPIIIXeon-750\256k (originally 933MHz [7x133MHz], 2.8V, Intel Confidential, i.e. with an unlocked multiplier). New CPUs are compatible electrically with the mainboard. Machine powers up fine, both CPUs are detected, but at the very end of POST it reboots, again and again... Normally, AAh is followed with 04h, and a message is shown:

BSP CPU.....Microcode OK
512KB Processor L2 Cache Enabled
AP CPU......Microcode OK
512KB Processor L2 Cache Enabled

Next is 00h and machine boots up fine. After the upgrade 04h doesn't display anything, and machine reboots immediately. Could you enlight me how to fix this issue? The bug seems to be within POST module of AMIBIOS, but AMIBCP doesn't allow to make any changes to it...

Phantom

P.S. The BIOS I use currently can be downloaded from http://duplex.hypermart.net/s2dgr.bin
MD5 (s2dgr.bin) = 485ea63cef0407ace0e463266ab42130
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

Is it the latest BIOS from SuperMicro?
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
Phantom

Probably it is. The latest beta 1.6a was released about two years ago, and can be found at ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/Bios/betabios/ ... dgr219.zip
I've hacked it a little with AMIBCP towards optimum performance and saved as 1.6b...

Official release 1.6 is pretty old and doesn't solve my problem, of course. But, eSupport has a working AMIBIOS but wants $25 instead; a good practice to make lame BIOS'es and sell fixed ones to end users for real bucks... Very noble business...

Phantom
soupy
Absentee administrator

Except ESupport is (IIRC) ultimately owned by Phoenix, not AMI.
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
apple_rom
Use my patch at your own risk!!

>originally 933MHz [7x133MHz]
= Xeon Pentium III Cascades stepping B0/C0 = CPUID = 683 or 686
Your BIOS have only microcode 683. Try addiing "686". You can use my collection - rom.by/Award/patcher/all_microcodes.rar
Phantom

No, CPU microcode isn't the case. Normally, I should be able to boot even without microcode update. Anyway, I've replaced the microcode with 6A1-01, and no result. The most wonderful thing is that PIIXeons booted fine with that microcode, like it was their own... So, I suppose, the problem is within the POST module of AMIBIOS.

Phantom