Upgrading CPU

Don't ask how to over-clock.
Slippy
New visitors - please read the rules.

socket 370, the program i have cpu-z reports the 533mhz as ppga, however the original cpu intel 500mhz (not celeron) is being reported as a fc-pga, so obviously it supports both, i am going to try using the socket adapter and the original cpu to see if it is jut the socket...

added in - nope the adapter works fine with the original cpu, cpu-z reports the same socket also, so where do i go from here, guess i will try the new cpu once more while i wait for your replies.
cp
BIOS Guru

seems i still don't get the problem. your mainboard has a socket 370 and supports ppga and fcpga out of the box. so far nothing unusual. but it doesn't boot with a tualatin processor, right? if so: still nothing unusual. as i wrote before: many s370 boards support fcpga and ppga, but not fcpga2.
now the adaptor comes into play. what kind of adaptor is it? purpose?

btw. celeron 533 is a ppga (there are fcpga versions out there, too). the other cpu is a P-iii 500 and is a fcpga version for sure. you can easily tell the difference by looking at the cpu. the ppga has a black carrier and a silver heatspreader. the fcpga hast a green carrier and no heatspreader. instead you'll see the cpu die with a bluish protection coating.
Slippy

on the cpu's very correct, what seems out of the ordinary to me is the other 82810 runs the tualatin fine, right away as expected, the purpose for the adapter is the taulatin is a fc-pga2 it is a ATC brand from what is on the adapter other than that there are no other markings as to brand, i suppose what i don't understand is why one will run it this one won't, when i was advised for this upgrade, by a friend who is very knowledgeable, we were both certain this computer would support the tualatin, as it meets the system spec's, however dell seems to have blocked out anything but the specific spec's they're hardware is compatible with, to only work with dell issued hardware, as the dell tech support stated on a ram issue i had. so i believe i may be wasting time, and should give up on this for now, thanks for trying to assist me.
cp
BIOS Guru

i don't think that dell wants to block out anything as they don't manufacture the hardware. in software they could, but i still doubt that they do in this case. if you want to know what's really going on, you should get a post code card and check what the bios is spitting out. you could also check the levels on the adapter in the i810 board and then in the i810E board. i bet that's what's wrong here.
Slippy

i have no idea where to get a post card for the bios lol its not even displaying them, however there are diagnostic lights on the back of this mobo that might give some clue, but the adapters are set exactly the same, with this dell i have tried setting the power 1.5 only, and the fsb speed down to 66mhz and up to 133mhz, any way i set it, the same thing happens, the 533mhz i have in it now took three tries for the bios to read it right, and use it.

it had the same issue wouldn't load bios, then one day i tried it the third time and what do you know it booted, but since then it reads it right off.

i am running out of ideas, maybe i will get one at work tonight.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Sorry guys but you seem to not know how Intel motherboards work, they definitely only boot if the CPU is known by the Bios. There's no way to boot an Intel motherboard without a proper CPU identification by Bios.

I don't know why intel introduced this but is probably some sort of protection mechanism. That's not depending on the chipset Intel used on their board (they used soem ATI and SIS chipsets, too), that's on all their boards they manufacture and sell themselfes to retail customers or to major brands like Dell.

The only way to get it to work is to get a Bios with updated CPU-tables. But it'll be easier to get a decent used board with a better chipset than the sluggish i810.
cp
BIOS Guru

Denniss: i know that intel boards use the cpu-id to lockout cpus. but how can a bios check for a cpu-id if it isn't even decrunched and in memory working? so the board runs upto a specific point where the bios checks for the cpu-id and then shuts down again or stops working (maybe even with a warning). this seems not to be the case here as far as i can tell it from here.