Upgrading CPU

Don't ask how to over-clock.
utulu
BIOS Newbie

Can I upgrade celeron CPU to PIII 733MHz just by upgrading BIOS.

Following please find the following details:

Program: eSupport.com BIOS Agent Version 3.45
BIOS Date: 01/10/99
BIOS Type: COMPAQ BASIC
BIOS ID: Compaq Deskpro EP Series BIOS Version: 686J1 v1.10
OEM Sign-On: None
Chipset: Intel Whitney 82810-DC100 rev 2
Superio: SMC LPC47B34x rev 4 found at port 2Eh
CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(tm) processor 466 MHz 466 Mhz MAX: 500 Mhz
BIOS ROM In Socket: No
BIOS ROM Size: 512K
Memory Installed: 128 MB
Memory Maximum: 512 MB
Memory Slot 01: 64 MB
Memory Slot 02: 64 MB
Memory Slot 03: 0 MB

eSupport.com, Inc.
1-800-800-BIOS (2467)
www.esupport.com
KURIAKI

More than 100,000 BIOS strings in my database just now!
http:/ /www.kuriaki.has.it/
http:/ /www.supportbios.info
------------------------------------------
Saludos desde Cancun, Mexico
KURIAKI
utulu
BIOS Newbie

Thanks very much for the link. When I tried to upgrade the bios according to HP instructions it does not work. Can you please advise.

Thanks for your help
utulu
BIOS Newbie

The BIOS upgrade was successfully executed. However when I replaced to PIII Celeron to Intel PIII 733MHz SL45Z the system did not boot apperently the chipset id not recognising the CPU.
Any help please

Thanks
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Are you sure your system supports this CPU ? Your board may only have a PPGa socket but you require FCPGA socket + lower CPU voltage + higher FSB
bachikho
BIOS Rookie

Code: Select all

BIOS Date: 08/07/02
BIOS Type: American Megatrends licensed to Intel
BIOS ID:   63-2600-009999-00101111-080702-I440MX-0154A260
OEM Sign-On:
Chipset:   Intel 7194 rev 1
Superio:   SMC 869 rev 0 found at port 3F0h
CPU:       Mobile Pentium(R) III 650 Mhz MAX: 800 Mhz
BIOS ROM In Socket: No
BIOS ROM Size:      512K
Memory Installed:   260 MB
Memory Maximum:     Unknown
Memory Slot 01:     128 MB
Memory Slot 02:     128 MB
Memory Slot 03:     0 MB
Memory Slot 04:     4 MB
how to force cpu run at max speed in AC mode (upgrade from cel 600 to p3 800/650 and now can't enable speedstep in bios), maybe this is because i updated bios AFTER install new cpu?
Slippy
New visitors - please read the rules.

i have no idea how old this forum is but it is the only one i found matching my criteria, so i upgraded my computers today with a fcpga2 adapter and a intel celeron "tualatin" 1.4ghz 1.5v the hp i have recognized it right away, the dell however won't even display the boot screen, so here is what i am wondering, why is it not working, the jumpers on my adapter is set correctly for the voltage and fsb speed, i am using a intel based mobo with a 82810 chipset in the hp, and the 82810e (express) in the dell, not quite sure as what is wrong, other than maybe dell set the mobo to only recognize they're parts. please respond soon someone with experience or knowledge, or any ideas at all.

oh edit in--i have upgraded my bios on dell.com to the last update ver. A14, prior to upgrading.
cp
BIOS Guru

utulu: Socket 370 is designed to prevent usage of fcpga and fcpga2 cpus in mainboards designed for ppga only. this is done by a hardware lockout mechanism. however you can (easily) modify the socket to accept fcpga cpus, too. celeron 466 is ppga and P III is fcpga, btw.
next problem is: i82810 and i82810DC-100 are designed to handle 66/100MHz only. the P III 733 needs 133MHz fsb. if you want an intel chipset with 133MHz support you'll need at least an i82810E.
bachikho: was the celeron a mobile version, too? i didn't see any mobile options in a desktop board's bios until now. just try to install the drivers for the powersaving feature in the OS, maybe that works. at least it works with VIA/Cyrix C3 in all Slot1/S370 boards and longhaul in linux.
Slippy: celeron fcpga2 processors work with 100MHz fsb and the i82810 supports that. there's no problem to even run them on an i440BX Slot1 board. somehow some boards don't work even with a known-good adapter (the AOpen AX6BC does, the Gigabyte GA-6BXC doesn't; both Slot1 i440BX boards). what kind of boards are you using? Slot1 or S370 boards?
Slippy

thank you for trying to help, by showing me post from previous posters, but i need specifics on why this dell is not working, and it is nearly a exact match for the other intel 82810.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Dell computer = Intel OEM motherboard usually special-built for Dell.
Intel motherboard = does not boot with unknown CPU
Slippy

Denniss wrote:Dell computer = Intel OEM motherboard usually special-built for Dell.
Intel motherboard = does not boot with unknown CPU

right but this cpu shouldn't be unkown as i used a cpu from another intel 82810 mobo a celeron 533mhz, it worked fine, so for this 1.4 celeron to work on one 82810 mobo and not this one makes no sense.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

The Dell/Intel Bios does not know how to handle this CPU so no boot. That's how an Intel Bios works.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Each model of CPU has an ID-code it reports to the motherboard bios, so the bios knows what core voltage to set and what FSB. That high-speed celeron CPU simply is not in the table of known CPUs for this bios so rather than risking smoke effects by setting wrong voltages/FSB, the bios will not boot the system.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Slippy

edwin wrote:Each model of CPU has an ID-code it reports to the motherboard bios, so the bios knows what core voltage to set and what FSB. That high-speed celeron CPU simply is not in the table of known CPUs for this bios so rather than risking smoke effects by setting wrong voltages/FSB, the bios will not boot the system.
so simply the bios are the issue as i suspected, are there bios that i can replace the dell bios with? the voltage of this cpu is 1.5v, i do need a replacement bios for the hewlett packard as there are none to be found lol, please if you know of any bios i could use to replace these by all means let me know, as this computer has also rejected ram in the past that was compatible by specifications that are on intel and dell website.
cp
BIOS Guru

Slippy: you still didn't specify wether it's Socket 370 or Slot 1. if it's S370 they may have implemented the hardware as requested by intel and thus locking out every tualatin processor. The celeron 533 is ppga or fcpga if it's a celeron 533A. i've seen many S370 boards working with ppga and/or fcpga but not fcpga2. the reason is: intel changed specs on the S370 pinout 2 times. first from ppga->fcpga and then from fcpga->fcpga2 again. if the board was build while fcpga specs were the current design guides then it's most unlikely that the board will allow tualatin processors to work if they followed the design guides strictly. as dell (and hp, too) doesn't manufacture boards itself, they used an oem board. as Denniss already stated: Intel build some boards for Dell. besides the hardware lockout (simply pulling some signal lines to certain levels so that the cpu won't even start working) Intel used a BIOS lockout mechanism, too. they want to prevent the usage of processors that are not specified for a certain mainboard. even though the board/processor combination would have worked fine.

without further inspection my guess is: the bios is not the problem, the board simply locks out fcpga2 processors by following the fcpga design guidelines. that's not a bug, it's a feature.
and even if the bios would be the problem: you can't swap bioses from one board to another and expect it to work. a bios is made for a special board and doesn't work on another (there are FEW exceptions to that rule). you could write your own bios if you have a few years of time, expert x86 asm skills, expert engineering skills and all the neccessary datasheets.

edwin: only very few bios actually check for the cpu-id. cpu voltage is set by VID pins of the cpu (that's pure hardware) and fsb is determined by BSEL pins (also pure hardware). before the bios jumpes in, the cpu is running with the settings that it's telling the mainboard logic with those pins. after the bios is unpacked and in a working state they _might_ check for something like a cpu-id. but even if: the cpu-id doesn't tell the actual settings for a cpu.