ABIT BD7m bios - edit to enable fsb adjustments

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
dpm
New visitors - please read the rules.

Here's the problem: I bought an ABIT BD7m (P4) microATX mobo. It must be the only ABIT mobo that has no FSB adjustments (for overclocking) in the bios. There is an ATX version of this mobo, the BD7, which does have frequency adjustments (but I have and need the microATX). I tried to flash with the BD7 bios but the Award bios flasher refuses saying it is not intended for that mobo (the BD7 and BD7m bioses are the same file size). So I'm interested in 2 possible solutions:

1. Use another flasher to force the BD7 bios to flash (e.g. Uniflash). But if I do that what is the chances of successful operation?

2. Edit the bios - my guess is the frequency adjust features are there but disabled. If the bios could be edited perhaps they could be re-enabled?

Many thanks in advance for any advice, help on this one!
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Chances are very slim...

If you master the techniques of BIOS recovery (hotflashing, etc.) and/or have access to an external EEPROM programmer, then you actually could try... but it's very risky.
AmenophisIII

well if u have a 2nd mobo, be sure, that it is able to hotflash the bd7 bios and try it.
imo its not very risky, it wont explode ;)
greetz, AmenophisIII
dpm

Well, thanks very much for the replies! I decided to take a look at the hardware on the BD7m, from which it seemed pretty clear that the clock synthesizer is a very simple one that doen't allow fine adjustments to the system clocks. However, it did have the facility to change the fsb from 100 to 133 MHz (by forcing a pin to Vdd), which allowed me to run my P4 1.6A at 2133 MHz. So, mission accomplished!