Abit BX133-Raid

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
trodas
BIOS Newbie

There is already moded bios that included more recent RAID v2.351 that support 48bit addressing and added microcode to support Coppermine and Tualatin (!) CPU's in this oldie mobo with a little wiring in CPU socket. You can grab it there:
http://ax2.old-cans.com/BX133.ZIP

A big thanks to RayeR: http://www.volny.cz/rayer/hardware/abitb133.htm

However there are still one probem and one question.

Problem.
The bios (altrough it offer generously up to to 2.3Vcore for CeleronII CPU's) limit harshly maximum Vcore selectable when Tualatin CPU is detected. From default 1.45 to just 1.55 - witch is useless at best. Setup is saving the value at ofset 41h and it also does change value on 3Ah, where it is used just to show the correct Vcore in bios.
Hardcore way is using RayeR utility to directly write to CMOS wanted value and it become active on next reboot.
( http://www.volny.cz/rayer/programm/abitvc.exe )
However a clean way - eg. kick out the code that does limit the Vcore options based on detected CPU is wanted.
Anyone know how/can do it?

Question.
Altough 2.3V might sound enough for most, for hardcore overclocking of Celeron II this is simply not enough. Is this mobo voltage regulator capable of delivering higher voltage, say at least 2.5 ot 2.6V...?
cp
BIOS Guru

http://www.revistapcecia.com.br/downloa ... RC5058.pdf

you can safely get 1.30v-3.5v from this baby :) the easiest way (and the way i do it ;)) : bend up the pins VID0-VID4 and solder them to a dipswitch which connects them to ground. The VID pins have internat pull-up resistors so there's no need to worry about leaving them unconnected. The voltage table on page 5 should be self-explanatory.
the advantage of this mod: you have full manual control of the voltage without fooling the regulator, mainboard or cpu. the disadvantage is that any software modding the voltage will no longer work since the VID pins are not connected to anything but your dipswitches anymore.
trodas
BIOS Newbie

WoW! :twisted: 3.5V is a little bit too much - but like 2.6 or perhaps even 2.7V the poor old Celeron II probably can handle - what do you think? :P :twisted:

And yes, it is a RC5058M chip there:

But I did not like this way with DIP switches at all. First at all, one can easily fry a CPU. Second, the default Vcore detection will no longer work, witch means that one can easily push a 2.3 or more volts to Tealatin when going from Celeron II to it - and that could be disasterous :?

There is of course a advantage - no more bios limitations for Vcore depending on the CPU :lol:

But aren't we on bios modding site? How can be the PROBLEM mentioned above fixed w/o hardware modification? I mean - how to disable the Vcore limits code and how to extend the Vcore voltage table? I bet that ModBin 6 is the start and then perhaps diassembly some of the code, change it and then put it back?
cp
BIOS Guru

since you are the only one playing around with those jumpers frying shouldn't be a problem.

modding the bios shouldn't be a problem either..if you know the mainboard layout. the thing is: Abit is fiddling around with the VID pins. They control them by software and start off with the default setting the cpu tells the board. now if a user enters the bios and selects something different than default vcore they have to activate some hardware by software (the bios). there are GPIO (general purpose I/O) pins on the southbridge for that. they can be used for whatever the mainboard maker thinks they should be used for. let's say there are 30 GPIOs on a southbridge..which GPIO controls which pin on the voltage regulator? frankly: any of those GPIOs could.
now go ahead, hack those Abit modules out with Modbin and disassemble them. next step would be to find read/writes from/to the southbridge (or a SuperIO chip) and GUESS which of those could control the VID pins.

i can't imagine that someone would go the hard way if a simple hardware mod would do the trick. anyone volunteering?
DaRoN
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi! Sorry for reply after so long time but...
I rebuyed this mobo (it was my first mobo), and I need vdimm mod for it (i bought some Winbond SDRAM chips ;] ).
Is there any way to do the mod?
cp
BIOS Guru

VDIMM? hard to tell.. is it adjustable in the BIOS? if not: VDIMM is 3.3V so probably they use the ATX power output of 3.3V directly. you could only modify your atx power supply to output more than 3.3V (with the risk of damaging other components) or build your own 5V-to-3.3V converter.
if they have their own converter onboard your should check if it's a fixed voltage regulator or if it's adjustable. if it's adjustable you can get the datasheet and modify it according to your needs. if it's a fixed voltage regulator you are back to building your own converter.
honestly if you're not an electrical engineer: get some hardware that works out of the box.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
DaRoN
New visitors - please read the rules.

Nope, there is no voltage regulator on vdimms. There is only chip which supply the cpu.
So, it is very possible that dimms are powered by 3.3V psu line.
I have a fortron 350GTF - should be a no problem to modify this line :)
cp
BIOS Guru

well, you'll supply 3.xV to all your system components, not only the SDRAM.
and you shouldn't open a PSU unless you exactly know what you are doing. there are voltages and currents involved that could easily kill you.
again: do NOT open the PSU unless you know exactly what you are doing and you are aware of the risks involved
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.