AGP Initialization in PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6?

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
TheGuyNamedGuy
New visitors - please read the rules.

Does anyone know where in the binary image of PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6 BIOS AGP initialization is handled? I'd assume it's in the bootblock (BB.ROM after using Phoenix BIOS Editor to extract), since that's where on my system the integrated graphics card is initialized (I see the signature line for the ATI Rage 128), but I'm having trouble locating the video tests and AGP initialization code.

I have an Intel SE7505VB2 with the SE7505 north bridge, and right now the BIOS (revision 110) fails to initialize my new BFG 7800GS graphics card properly. I know that the card is physically and electronically compatible with the motherboard, as I can initialize it and use it under Linux, but I cannot get the BIOS to use it for boot video, and Windows won't use it until the BIOS is happy with it. Ideally, I want to find the bug in the AGP initialization code of my BIOS and either fix it or skip the test, so it does the initialization correctly.

My toolchain at the moment consists of IDA 4.9, XVI32, and the PhoenixBIOS editor.
Last edited by TheGuyNamedGuy on Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

You need to set the initial graphics adapter to AGP, it is a setting in the bios.

Else you might try an earlier revision of the bios.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
TheGuyNamedGuy
New visitors - please read the rules.

There isn't a setting for which to enable first, and in "Single" mode, the PCI video card isn't even present.

I might try an earlier revision, but I doubt it will fix things -- several people with motherboards from my motherboard's era reported similar issues with the 7800GS, so it's possible this was a widespread BIOS bug that was later fixed. Hence, it's unlikely to be fixed by an earlier revision.