ALI M1543C B1 and ALI M1543 B1 incompatability?

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
markbush
New visitors - please read the rules.

Have two Redfox AGP-ALI Rev F MBs and they have the ALI M1543C B1 southbridge. Have a Jamicon 566A-AT / SuperPower SP-A586B motherboard that uses the ALI M1543 B1 southbridge (not the "C" version of the chip). Anyone familiar with the ALI Chipset who can tell me why the Bios for one chip (the "C") makes the other (non "C") computer have streaks in the video and problems reading off of the HD?

I read the ALI unhelpful website and I think that it may be that the Windows driver works for the M1543C B1 (they specifically say that it does) but that the Windows drivers may not work with the M1543 B1.

My Jamicon / SuperPower board runs DMA 33 while the Redfox boards run DMA 66 with what looks like the same chipset (except for the "C").

The northbridge chips are the same ALI M1542 A1 in all 3 computers.

Previous post to utilities section about UniFlash and to BIOS Upgrades about ALADDIN4-2A5KKSMAC-00 BIOS upgrade about these computers.
th
Legacy means reliability

>Anyone familiar with the ALI Chipset who can tell me why the Bios for one chip (the "C") makes the other (non "C") computer have streaks in the video and problems reading off of the HD?

That's because the non-C and C chips are different. ;-)

Older 1543 ALI chips shouldn't be even used at UDMA33 (not to mention UDMA66).
Just take a look at the Sourcecode of the ALi-Linux drivers.

Bye
Thomas