AMIBIOS8 hackers needed for ongoing project

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
kad77
New visitors - please read the rules.

Greets readers,

I recently purchased a Uniwill P50CA Notebook (same as Fujitsu Siemens Amilo A1667G btw) using AMIBIOS8 and found that it contained the most idiot proofed BIOS setup I had ever experienced.

Trying AMIBCP8 RC1 on the BIOS failed. So I developed my own tools and reverse engineered the setup code. Unfortunately, I discovered that no options have simply been "hidden". They are totally absent.

Next I proceeded to obtain AMIBIOS8 binaries of other AMD systems using the VIA K8T890/KT8237R chipsets, and am in the process of determing how to extract relevant controls and insert them into this pathetic BIOS. I'm only going forward with this because the notebook BIOS chip is socketed, and I can pull it out and reflash it with a programmer if I make a critical error in the code.

The question for the audience is: Who would like to help reverse engineer AMIBIOS8 much like Pinczakko did for Award BIOS?

I've gotten the setup code worked out, but there is much to be done to expose the workings of the core. It would help the community greatly by allowing Overclocking/Multiplier, Memory Timings, Hardware Monitor, Fan controls, and other custom controls to be added to dumbed down BIOS...

Please post a message if you are interested in learning/helping, especially if you are comfortable with assembly and have read Pinczakko's guide. This project will take some weeks to months to complete (hobby time only of course), but I think we can have tangible results soon.

I'm writing a tool that will clone MMTOOL, except that it will be able to insert any module, and update BIOS checksum.

If you want a cheap BIOS backup visit http://www.sivava.com/, you can order a programmer in case of inevitable error. They are about $60 including express shipping.

Please let me know if you know an end-user source of EN29F040A or EN29F080A PLCC 32-pin flash chips. They are made by EON corporation.

Cheers,
kad77
apple_rom
Use my patch at your own risk!!

Somes parts of you bios (1.4Mb, IDA 4.8 ):
http://rom.by/biosedit/examples/AMI/ami8_RAM.rar
kad77

@apple_rom : thank you very much

I'm using IDA 5.0, but I'll grab 4.8 to load the database (it won't convert). I wish I could speak russian, there seem like a lot of good coders over at rom.by

Are there any english forums at rom.by? I'd like to post some of my code for people to examine their AMIBIOS8 files.

Any other leads would be appreciated, I'm looking for a supply of any of these 4Mbit flash PLCC chips:

AMD AM29F040B
AMIC A29040L
BRIGHT BM29F040
EON EN29F040T
FUJITSU MBM29F040A
HYUNDAI HY29F040A
MEGAWIN MM29LF040
MEGAWIN MM29F040
MXIC M29F/LV040
PMC 39F040
SST 39SF/VF040
ST M29F040B
Winbond W29C040
WINBOND 39L040

Thanks, kad77

BTW: check out http://www.bios.net.cn/ for some newer versions of AMIBCP8. I found 8 RC1 there are one time. If you can't find it, I will email it to you. It is the latest version I have found on the net.
kad77

@apple_rom

That was no tip like I was expecting, that was an nearly complete disassembly of my P50CA BIOS! Can you put me in touch with the coder who went to so much trouble? I'm really energized...

I would like to share some info with him about the setup code and other AMIBIOS8 data I have discovered.

Also, the cryllic in the disasm is garbled. I can't seem to get any typeface to display it correctly, so there is little hope of translating the useful commentary. Could you please help with this?

... I'm going to have to learn some russian ;-) ...

Thanks again!
apple_rom

It`s my code.
apple_rom

lbr

any results?