Asus P2B-DS

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
poptart629
New visitors - please read the rules.

I'm trying to get the old flash chip from him, but he is unsure if he still has it. I tried hot swaping it but I get the same message. I get the feeling that I'm going to have to order a replacement from Asus. What I'm wondering is, just for my own edumacation :lol: is what exactly is a bios hook??

Thanks for all you help!!

PopTart629
Trust In The Hammer Brothers....

Air,
Jack, &
Sledge......
Denniss
BIOS Guru

This "Bios Hook" is something special Asus programmed into their Biosversion except old mainboards and nForec mainboards

It's used by their Flashprog Aflash to identify an Asus mainboard and prevents Aflash from running on other mainboards

I have a P2B and no problems flashing a new Bios with Uniflash - Hot-Swap is working,too (I even tried to flash standard Award and AMI Bios using Aflash and it seems to work)
poptart629

Ok, this makes sense. If I dont have an "original" Asus BIOS chip in my system its not going to flash right? Is there a way around this problem, or am I stuck buying a replacement BIOS from Asus?

Air,
Jack, &
Sledge......
Denniss
BIOS Guru

With a non-Asus Bios it's not possible to use Aflash from Asus to reflash your bios to an Asus Bios .

But uniflash as well as Amiflash programs (Aminf3xx series) should have no problem to flash this Asus Bios as they don't look for the special Asus Bios hook

I tried both programs on my P2B and both flashes were successful
poptart629

I've already tried Uniflash and got that very same message. I have never heard of amiflash, can you tell me more about it, or give me a link to it?

Thanks

Air,
Jack, &
Sledge......
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Version of Uniflash used ?
Asus Bios version used ?

As Uniflash does not check for Asus Bios Hook it should be impossible to display a "Missing Bios Hook" message

Please give us the exact error message you got !

Use the latest version of Uniflash
Search for Aminf332 Aminf335 or Aminf329
Use Aminf332 P2b.bin /-R to flash your Bios (replace string with filenames you have)
poptart629

Well, after a couple of months of waiting I got an opportunity to hot flash the bios on my system.

I used a bios chip from an plain jane Assu P2B mainboard, booted to a clean floppy,removed the asus bios and inserted my bios, flashed it w/ the correct bios file from Asus' website (it of course complained about the part numbers being incorrect), Rebooted the machine (biting my nails waiting for the post screen, It seems like forever) and yay it works SCSI controller and all!!!!

Thanks for all your input guys!!

PopTart629 :D :D

Air,
Jack, &
Sledge......