Asus TX97-E K6-2 500MHz repeats booting

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
svgt
New visitors - please read the rules.

I am a crazy man, who is trying strange things with an old machine. I read this link

http://www.lairdslair.com/TX97E.shtml

I used the newest bios file from (BiosMan) Jan Steunebrink 0112E_J2.BIN
I try to give a go at TX97-E revision 1.12 with a cpu from AMD K6-2 500Mhz 2,2V

The system starts and I can enter bios screens. I see Vcore with 2,2V. When I leave the bios, the systems starts for 20 seconds, PNP Init completed, the IDE drives were recognized with auto, the pci table is blinking and then it reboots infinitely. The OS system is not entered.
I think I should change some bios setup values, but which?

My Jumpers
--------------2,2V
VID2 open
VID1 1-2
VID0 open
--------------2=6
BF2 open
BF1 1-2
BF0 2-3
-------------83MHz
FS2 1-2
FS1 1-2
FS0 2-3

Regards
Last edited by svgt on Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cp
BIOS Guru

83,3MHz FSB is way out of spec. as a result of the high FSB, the IDE and PCI clocks are raised to 41,3MHz which may be a bit too much for most HDDs especially when they are running UDMA modes. additionally the high FSB may trash L2 cache entries because those caches were not made to run at those bus speeds. not to mention the RAMs (DRAM or SDRAM) themselves.
first thing you should do: set the FSB back to 66MHz. test the system (boot it, run memtest, run some ide benchmark and finally boot the OS of your choice). if the system is stable you can move up to 75MHz and do the test over again.
even with good components it's hard to get a system running stable at 83,3MHz. you can however try to switch off UDMA and see if the HDDs run reliable then. but that would result in a huge performance penalty.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
svgt

I tried with a AMD K6-III 400 MHz (6 x 66), The behaviour was the same. In the link is described a stable installation over years with 6 x 83. If I start the system without any ide connections and disabled in bios, it is rebooting too. The sdrams with 133 MHz should not bother. Asus tells in a link 400Mhz should work.

http://rma.asus.de/support/faq/faq003_p5cpu_supp3.htm

With a 233 MHz Pentium the system is stable.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Does this issue occur when the Video BIOS Cacheable option is set to Disabled?

Thanks.
svgt

This issue occurs also when the Video Bios Cacheable is disabled. I tried both enabled and disabled. I tested also Video Rom Bios Shadow.

PS:
I solved the problem and the board is running with 500MHz. I pulled out a 18-pin {ps/2 usb infrared} connector. This external connector mounts to an open slot in the chassis. so called ASUS USB/MIR set. See User Manual Page 31 No 11
KachiWachi
The New Guy

OK.

Thank you for reporting back in with your progress and updated status.