Award Bios issue

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
stugots
New visitors - please read the rules.

Im more of a "new age" Bios guy so im alittle lost on my Award Bios 2A59Ig0g setup and was wondering of one you you guys could give me a hand.

I installed 2, 256mb chips and she keeps wanting to read the 112mb of "other ram" thats been in there, its 4 smaller chips (sorry again I know about newer of systems then this, kinda before my time if you will)

so my question is how do I get the Bios to read the new 256 chips?

Thanks
cp
BIOS Guru

Mainboard is GA-586TX2, right? Intel TX chipset supports 256MB ram max. with 64MBit memory density. the memory modules you bought are not 'seen' with their full capacity by the chipset since they have a higher density than the chipset supports.
do you have PS/2 SIMMs installed, too?
stugots

yes I have both installed, but with no SDram installed it still reads 112mb of the other ram.

when I put in the 256 chip when the system does the memory test it reads the other chips as well as the 256 chip (however it only reads it a 147mb) but windows still just reads the 112 mb.
cp
BIOS Guru

remove the PS/2 ram (it is slow anyway) and put in ONE SDRAM module. what does the memory test show? power off and put in another SDRAM module. what does the memory test show now?
stugots

actually the ps runs pretty good for only 112mb with XP installed lol

this is going to sound crazy BUT how do you remove the ps ram? I have NEVER delt with it and it looks like it will crack the board comming off
cp
BIOS Guru

pull both clips. the module can be removed by pulling it gently upwards at an angle of ~45°.