AWARD BIOS Versions

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Question:

There seem to be two different versions associated with AWARD BIOSs.

There is the programmable version, such as F1 or F2 for example as Gigabyte uses in their numbering systems.

Then there is another version number, such as 4.51G or 6.0. What is this second version? What is associated with this version number that is not associated with the programmable version, and is it user flashable (I assume not)?

Any responses appreciated from insightful users.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

4.5xx/6.xx/Medaillon 6.xx is the Bios Core supplied by Award/Phoenix

F1/F2 or other numbering shemes are from the motherboard manufacturers

AMI has the same but it has no version stamps on its Bios core but it uses dates (often read by Sandra as Bios dates) - well know should be the 07151995 Bios core (maybe slightly different as I have the exact version not on hand)
Next Bios core is from 2001 (AFAIK)
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

071595 (rev 6.x), next 040201 (rev 7.x). there's even a newer one, rev 8.x for which I'm still missing an amibcp program.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Thanks but the bit I do not understand and which I am interested in is:

F1, F2 and other number schemes give you increased CPU support, increased HDD support, may change around what BIOS setup options are concerned, etc.

What does 4.5x, 6x, 7x, 8x, etc do? Is this still concerned with the BIOS Setup program, or does it actually run the code that runs the BIOS or something else. This must run something that the updateable BIOS does not do - I am interested if someone can explain what it is.

Thanks again.