BIOS Modification - DFI 586IPVG, Cyrix MII 433, K6-2/+ 450

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Just re-visititing this post...

In reviewing the data in spreadsheet format, it becomes obvious that the Main RAM Read Speeds are about the same...it is only the Write Speeds that are slower.

At 66MHz (15 nS) and with no caches enabled, the difference is 151 - 90 = 61 nS...or about 4 clocks.

What could introduce a 4 clock "delay" into the Write path only? BIOS wait states? Why would a mainboard designer want to do this?
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Here is the data in an easy-to-read format -

KachiWachi
The New Guy

Hey all -

It's been a while since I visited this thread...mostly because there hasn't been anything new to report. :wink:

Well...that all changed a few days ago. :(

I came home to find out that we had a mini power failure during a storm. No biggie...the DFI just reboots itself and sits there waiting for me to log back in. Standard practice here (after this sort of thing happens) is for me to run a "Chkdisk" before doing anything.

Well...this time it wouldn't pass the "Phase 1" test. :(

After booting to Safe Mode/Command Prompt, and running Chkdsk from there, I found that the drive has four (4) FRS Errors - Segments 2588, 2589, 2590 and 2591 are unreadable.

The thing is...the PC *seems* to boot just fine.

I'm not planning on "fixing" anything at the moment because I'd like to know just what file(s) reside in this area.

Because the FRS records are low numbered, I'm assuming that they refer to something written when the OS was first installed...though I can't be sure of this.

Does anyone know of a good NTFS MFT FRS reader program that can help me determine what is going on here before I let Windows try to "fix" things?

Thanks.
DoZe2
BIOS Newbie

Hi
Mhhh the best software i known for that is "Get data back"

http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm

i hope this one can help you :|
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Thank you for your post DoZe2, but I'm not looking to get anything "back".

Thanks.
feipoa
New visitors - please read the rules.

It has been nearly 8 years since your last post in this thread. What ever happened with your DFI 586IPVG system?
KachiWachi
The New Guy

I still have the machine, but I no longer use it on a daily basis.

Thanks.
New visitors - please read the rules.

KachiWachi wrote:I still have the machine, but I no longer use it on a daily basis.

Thanks.
What about your other MoBo? (PcChips M520 / Amptron 7900)

I have one of those at my moms house (my old 90s PC), and I've been pimpin' it from now and then over the years.
Right now it has
512k cache
128mb RAM in 4 simms (32mb each)
2d Video card: Matrox Millenium II 32mb
3d Video card: Quantum Obsidian X24 (3dfx Voodoo 2 single sli board)
3d Video card: Matrox PowerVR
A PowerLeap CPU Adapter PL-PROMMX PLUS
Aaaand... I'm getting some SD to CF adapters in place for the hdds.

Those last two got me hunting for a new bios. The one I'm using has the 32gb bug. Also the K6 II I'm using is a 450 but it runs at 400. No idea why.

Any clues or maybe a better bios?
Thanks
:D
KachiWachi
The New Guy

I still have this machine as well, but it has an internal short that prevents anything more than a non-MMX CPU from being installed in it.

Thanks.