Changing Award BIOS Defaults using modbin6

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
jmueske
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi,

I want to create an image file of a BIOS with all setup screen options set a particular way. Then I want to flash this file to multiple systems (identicle hardware) so they're all set with the same BIOS setup screen settings. Here's the tools I have:
modbin6 2.01.01
awdflash 8.73

When I use awdflash, it asks if I want to backup the current BIOS. If I select yes, then flash this backup file to another system, the setup screen options weren't set. I guess this backup doesn't save the settings, only the BIOS version related things.

I've opened a BIN file with modbin6. I can edit the default setup screen options and save the file. When I repoen the file in modbin6 the settings are the way I want them, so I know the settings "stuck". However when I flash this BIN to the board, the settings to not change to those set in modbin6. Do I need to use some command line switches or something? Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
John
Denniss
BIOS Guru

There are two values configurable with Modbin, Bios Defaults and Setup defaults.
Bios defaults are values loaded by Bios if a new Bios is detected and Bios loads it's defaults. Setup Defaults are usually loaded by a user in Bios.

If you flash the same Biosversion already existing in the Bios Flashrom then those default values will not be auto loaded as the Bios is still the same but with different default values set.

Enter your Bios and load Bios or Setup defaults.

Please remember, to be on the safe side do not change the Bios defaults. Better apply these changes only to the setup defaults, if anything bad happens you may still be able to clear CMOS and have the standard Bios defaults running.
jmueske
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi Denniss,

Thanks for the info. This worked great! I'm glad it was simple. :D

Is there any way to force defaults to load while flashing (command line switch, etc)? This way I could automate it so I don't have to enter the screen and load defaults on every system.

Regards,
John