how to delete free space inside a bios file

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
ameixoeiro
New visitors - please read the rules.

can anyone tell me how to delete free space inside a bios file?
i need to know that so that i can flash a 512kb bios to a 256kb eeprom.. because theres's more than 256kb of free space inside this 512kb bios file, and i need to flash it into a 256kb eeprom 'cause i don't have a 512 one that awdflash and/or uniflash can recognize...

thnx all
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

the 512kb bios file was designed to go into 512kb chip. you need a 512kb chip. what do you mean not recognized? What chips do you have that are not recognized and in which board are you trying to flash them?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
pwochung
New visitors - please read the rules.

I want to have the other way round!

I have a FIC VG31 OEM for HP. The BIOS chip was soldered on the board. It is a 4MB (512k) chip. I am quite sure that the M/B is the same as the boxed version. I want to flash the BIOS provided by FIC as it would offer more options. However, the BIOS is 2MB (256k) only. Any idea?
KenH
Chip off the ol' block

Unsolder the chip off the board & solder a plcc mount in it's place...
I recently had to do such on a HP board that had the chip soldered
onto it, in which had a dead bios...
I had to remove the middle of the plcc socket though so I could solder
it back to the board, then put the middle back in so the chip didn't push
too far down when placed into the chip socket...
cp
BIOS Guru

take your fav. hex editor and paste something to the end of the FIC bios file (maybe the FIC bios itself). that would give you 256k+256k=512k.
BUT! after flashing your board might not work if there are any differences in the HP board and the original FIC board. and then you might not be able to flash anything else unless you desolder the chip and program it somewhere else. short for: use at your own risk!