HP8750C - Unlocking CPU Settings

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Hi All!!

My girlfriend's son unfortunately has one of these with a PIII 667MHz CPU installed. From various sources I have learned that this board doesn't like running at the 133MHz bus speed. Notible issues (which he has all of them) are crashing while on-line, scrolling with the mouse, etc... It uses a Phoenix BIOS and a Mercury Motherboard. (Sorry...I have much more info on what he has, but I'm at work and writing this from memory.)

I think the last BIOS update I put in it was 2.05...and I believe 2.06 is the latest. The problem is the CPU settings are hidden...all I can see is what the CPU is set up for in the BIOS, but can't change anything. For the time being, I was going to slow the bus down to 100MHz to give him some relief.

Can the BIOS be patched to allow me to do this?

Thanks!!
soupy
Absentee administrator

Looks like the board is generally just a POS.

http://bizforums.itrc.hp.com/cm/Questio ... f9,00.html

Why not drop in a 100Mhz FSB PIII?
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Well, he has no money :-)
Teenager you know...has a girlfriend :-)

Besides...would you as a teenager want to spend money on a computer you think is a POS to begin with???

But that is an option...

Perhaps he can sell the 667...or trade with a friend...at least to see if it will fix the problem on his particular board...
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Put some decent RAM in there and try again, most likely one of the strips isn't up to spec or damaged...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
KachiWachi
The New Guy

I was just reviewing the board spec's a bit...do I get this right???

810E Chipset -
CPU Bus: 66/100/133 MHz
Memory Bus: 66/100 MHz
Display Cache: 100/133MHz <<-- Bus?? What is this??

So does this mean it only needs PC100 SDRAM? I thought I read somewhere that this guy needed PC133 (maybe that is what is already factory installed...or HP document?)... How would I know for sure? I have some PC100 laying around, but didn't install it because I thought he needed better... (Also have some PC66...lol...)

Also I believe latest BIOS was 2.10 and not 2.06. I was trying to see what CPU's would fit (Socket 370 P-III)...maybe a 1.1G Coppermine (100x11.0)?
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

i810E should be capable of running at 133MHz, of course with PC133 memory.
Display Cache was used first time on i810-DC100. It's 2MB or 4MB memory on board used to speed up integrated graphics.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere