JetWay V266B Vcore option missing

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
trodas
BIOS Newbie

Once a while back, my stepbro, when first problems thanks to the GSC caps surfaced on the JetWay V266B mobo, flashed the mobo with a new bios. It don't help a thing, but it does cause something.
From that time the Vcore option in bios was never seen again. Ever. Todays I did some work on it, and discovered that:
1) flashing older A12 revision cause totally trashed image on screen in DOS/bios, so useless
2) flashing latest A13 bios fixed that, however in both cases no Vcore option
3) fired up a Modbin6 and loaded the bios, and Vcore was shown as normally visible in he tool, however when one mark some Vcore options as "unselectable", it is impossible to change them back to selectable...!
Futhermore I tried to set as default 1.600Vcore (both bios and system), yet also no change in the actual Vcore...
4) mainboard jumper switches for choosing a multiplier won't work. In fact, choosing a multi 6x cause not-post, so I have to remove all the jumpers to get machine into working state...

My question is - can anyone look at the bios and check out what it wrong with it? I mean - I intend to run the 2800+ at 150x14 - 2100Mhz. The catch is, that this require switching to high multipliers (the mobo switches are from 5x to 12.5x, so in high multi the 5x will be 13x, 5.5x will be 13.5x and 6x will become the wanted 14x multi) but that should be possible to do by this mod:

Now what is wrong with this bios when it run on AXP, I did not understand. Why the Vcore did not shown? Why the selectable-nonselectable can be reversed? Why the selection did not working?

Maybe there is a simple bug in the bios, but I fail to see it - certainly in the Modbin6 :oops:

JetWay V266B A12 bios: http://ax2.old-cans.com/V266BA12.ZIP
JetWay V266B A13 bios: http://ax2.old-cans.com/V266BA13.ZIP
JetWay V266B A13 moded by me bios: http://ax2.old-cans.com/V266BA14.ZIP
(just changed the settings the way I selecting them, leaved the ram timings and stuff at default for possible other users, tough)

Modbin6: http://www.lejabeach.com/sisubb/Modbin6.zip

Mod done to unlock multipliers: http://www.lostcircuits.com/cpu/amd_unlock/
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Ctrl-F1 for more options when in bios?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
cp
BIOS Guru

to change the vcore via bios the mainboard needs some additional ICs. there may be versions (OEM especially) that just won't have them fitted.
the reasons for the multiplier lock are here and here.
apple_rom
Use my patch at your own risk!!

>to change the vcore via bios the mainboard needs some additional ICs.
This mobo "was" have this "additional ICs". ;)

It`s very "jocking" but disappear "Vcore option" for this mobo is "normal situation". :) I was see not one of this cases.
In modbin you see this punkt but in the POST bios CHECK support Vcore by mobo (have some variants MB - with and without Vcore option) and found that MB not support (for you - from now ;) ) this option. Bios disappear this punkt in BIOS-Setup - you can`t see it.
It is a BUG. Vcore option can die "byself" and flashing procedure usually accelerate tihs. :)
p.s. I try manually edit bios and ON (forced) this features - not working. Because "additional ICs" from cp post at now is dead. Sorry... :)
trodas
BIOS Newbie

edwin - sadly, no change on anything (nor the Vcore option) when Ctrl + F1 it pressed on title screen in bios or in the overlocking menu :oops:

cp - well, clearly the board has the "additional ICs", because we seen that option, it was there and mainly - it is still in the bios. Just open it with ModBin and you can see it.
The question is, why it is turned off and how.
(I think the "why" is because the company recognized that increasing Vcore drasticaly reduce the mobo life because of the used useless bad caps, so... that is probably why)

apple_rom - exactly, these ICs are there. They did not seems to disapear, so, I would bet a bug in the bios. I'm an noob in bios editing, but I tried to check if the Vcore option is not hidden - it it not. Then I tried to set there 1.600Vcore, but CPU-Z still show a 1.662, so not working - and not visible at any time.
Do you see the checking code? Could you try edit the bug? :?:
cp
BIOS Guru

i didn't know that those additional logic was implemented on your mainboard because i couldn't see it from here, sorry ;)

try this: remove the AJ27 mod and look if the vcore options are back.
apple_rom

>I would bet a bug in the bios.
NOT bios - it`s HARDWARE problem.
trodas
BIOS Newbie

cp - well, no mod was done to the board, yet the option was missing even before. Even with Duron CPU...! And it WAS once there with the same Duron... :?

apple_rom - what make you think so? So far, except dying caps that get exchanged, there is nothing wrong with the mobo? It run even overclocked well and stable.

But I must admit it recently pissed me off very hardly.
Since I use in it a AXP 2800+ Barton CPU, that at default run as 166x12.5 = 2075Mhz, I wanted to use multiplier 14x, witch would give me 150x14 = 2100Mhz.
So, I wired the board like what is there suggested:
http://www.ocinside.de/html/workshop/pi ... inmod.html

And quess what! The cursed mobo choose to IGNORE this x14 multi set by wires! I was deeply shocked by it. It is true, that the multiplier changes won't worked for me when I tried it (wire the machine to accept lower multi selections and use multi x6 by switches = no post. No forced multi, just leaved the wire = working stable) but I thought that wiring equals CPU settings and it should not be ignored?! :roll: :?:
It is true, that even the jumper setting ended up at multi x12.5. But the wires shall overcome it...??
apple_rom

trodas
Your mobo have hardware (not BIOS) problem. It`s "usually" for Jetway V266 series. Death Vcore-capable can approach itself, but bios flashing only accelerates this process.
trodas
BIOS Newbie

Well, what is wrong then and how can I fix it, if it is a hardware problem? :wink: :roll: :?: