M530 motherboard bios chip help

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
cee710
New visitors - please read the rules.

hello i think i have a pc chips M530 motherboard.it is missing the bios chip its a 32 pin dip chip would anyone know what the chip make ,id and numbers on the chip would be?im not sure which of these 2 it is that i might have.

m530

these are the 2 bios files i downloaded

1) 10/18/96-i430VX-10031996C-00 (L release)

2) 10/15/97-i430VX-02271997C-00 (S release)

i430VX UMC 8670

4PCI

3ISA

4SIMM

2DIMM

AT

the cpu is a 200 mhz intel mmx

the motherboard is gold color on the side it says v1.6a
there is a sticker under isa slot it says 1996 month 12 s/n:sm8772135 made in china.
one chip near cpu and where bios chip is supposed to be says intel pciset SB82371SB,L6451351 SUO93 INTEL 95 is that the north bridge?)
and a chip near edo and sdram banks it says intel pciset SB82437VX L6444979 SU116 INTEL 95
thank you very much for any help.
p.s i do have a programmer and hopefully if i can find the chip make and id numbers it will work. if there isnt a 32 dip chip can i use a pllc 32 with a adaptor in place of the dip chip? thank you so much.
cee710
cp
BIOS Guru

just flash a file and test it. since you're using an external programmer and a new chip anyway there's nothing that can go wrong :)
if there isnt a 32 dip chip can i use a pllc 32 with a adaptor in place of the dip chip?
yes, they are pin-compatible.
intel pciset SB82371SB,L6451351 SUO93 INTEL 95 is that the north bridge?)
that's the southbridge. the VX chip is the northbridge.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
cee710

hi cp sorry the way i wrote the subject. the problem is that im missing the eprom chip (for the bios) a freind pulled it out of the motherboard last year and misplaced it the pc was working he said. that is the one problem i have i needed the eprom chip make and numbers or one that can be used in a cross refernce.
thank you so much for your help.again sorry for the subject
cee710
cp
BIOS Guru

you can take any 1Mbit (128kByte) eeprom. if you have the board up and running and want to flash the chip again, you should check JP5. the intel eeproms (like 28F001) use 12V Vpp while all others (AMD, Winbond, SST 29F010) use 5V Vpp. set the jumper according to the chip you bought.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Winbond 29C010 or SST 29EE010 or compatible ships should work very well with the S-type Bios on these boards. I'm not sure an Intel chip will work on these boards - I've never seen them on those boards or heard from them being installed on these boards.
Many of these i430 VX series Pcchips boards hat the well known H.T. chips which in turn were relabeled Macronix 28F1000PPC chips
cee710

hi cp and denniss thank you so much for taking your time for your help and info.i just ordered a chip that is similar to the one you guys described its a 1mbit 128kb 32 pin dip 5v.i gave the tech from digi-key the 3 chips you guys posted and they dont have them but had a refernce one.i put the jumper on 5v on the motherboard so when i get the chip ill try to program it and see what happens.ill keep you guys posted.again thank you so much for your time and help.

p.s. this is the eprom chip hes sending

part # CAT28F010LI-12-ND

its from digi-key

have a nice day

cee710
cp
BIOS Guru

from the datasheet ( http://www.lierda.com/upload/editor/200 ... 696049.pdf ) :
12.0V ± 5% programming and erase voltage
you can set JP5 to 12V.
cee710

hi cp thanks for the datasheet info. i put the jumper back at 12v jp5.the chip should be coming in a few days thanks again for all your help.
have a nice day.

cee710
[Yezok]

cee710 wrote:hi cp thanks for the datasheet info. i put the jumper back at 12v jp5.the chip should be coming in a few days thanks again for all your help.
have a nice day.

cee710
That is a 5 Volt VCC flash Rom he is sending you, It only uses 12 Volt VPP for erase and Flash.
Set the jumper to 5 Volts VCC or you will burn the chip out.
The jumper on the board is used to set chip VCC voltage on pin32
12 Volt VPP is applied to pin 1 automatically when you flash the bios on the mother board using awdflash utility.

CAT28F010 ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM RATINGS*
VPP with Respect to Ground
during Program/Erase ............... 2.0V to +14.0V
VCC with Respect to Ground ............. 2.0V to +7.0V

Ya did not read the Data Sheet all the way trough

Be sure to apply the Bin File of the proper block size or it will not program correctly.

More chip info for the bios chips the M520 shipped with.

M520 Mainboard BIOS Information:
========================================================
Flash ROM Voltage and Block Size
EEPROM chip Voltage Block Size BIOS file
MX28F1000PX 12 V Large 16 K (xxxxxxx)L.bin
MX28F1000PL 12 V Large 16 K (xxxxxxx)L.bin
MX28F1000PC 12 V Large 16 K (xxxxxxx)L.bin
MX28F1000PPC 12 V small 4 K (xxxxxxx)s.bin
i28F001BX-T120 12 V small 4 K (xxxxxxx)s.bin
SST 29EE010 5 V small 4 K (xxxxxxx)s.bin
Winbond 29EE011 5 V small 4 K (xxxxxxx)s.bin
ATMEL 29C010 5 V small 4 K (xxxxxxx)s.bin

Intel P28F001BXT, SST PH29EE010, Winbond W29EE011 Would be the proper chip with correct block size for that board with xxxxxxxS.bin
and the other chips with 16k block would be correct for the the xxxxxxxL.bin file
cp
BIOS Guru

That is a 5 Volt VCC flash Rom he is sending you, It only uses 12 Volt VPP for erase and Flash.
true. that's why i asked him to set JP5 to 12V.
Set the jumper to 5 Volts VCC or you will burn the chip out.
The jumper on the board is used to set chip VCC voltage on pin32
no. there are no (e)eproms running with +12V Vcc. they all run a nice +5V Vcc. even the old 27Cxxxx series require +5V Vcc. so there shouldn't be a jumper altering Vcc on any mainboard. even PCChips wouldn't be THAT stupid.
12 Volt VPP is applied to pin 1 automatically when you flash the bios on the mother board using awdflash utility.
wrong. the level of Vpp depends on the setting of JP5. as a rule of thumb: +12V for all 28Fxxx and +5V for all 29Fxxx. for normal operation (which is everything else but flashing) there's no difference between both chip families while for programming there is.

since you are getting a 28Fxxx anyway: set JP5 to +5V, insert the preprogrammed chip, normal operation will be fine. start a flashing util, try to flash. it will fail. switch the jumper to +12V and try flashing again flashing will work fine now.

and the final test that this jumper is for Vpp only: remove the jumper completely and switch the machine on. IF the jumper would be for Vcc then even normal operation should fail now, but it surely won't ;)
[Yezok]

The m520 that i owned had a design flaw when jp5 was set to 12v for VPP the VCC line was at 12v I even checked it with a multimeter after i burned out 3 flashroms on it. The original MX28F1000PX and 2 intel 28f010.
The flash ROM would get so hot you could fry eggs on it and that was from new. that is probably why he got the board with no flash ROM chip in it.
He would be wise to check the back of the motherboard and make sure that there is no trace between Pin1 and pin32 of the dip32 socket.
I ended up modding my board by cutting the trace and tying pin 32 to the 5v supply rail.
It is probably not a PC chips branded board either, it is probably an early cloned revision of an unmarked board made in Mexico and sold as a counterfeit PC chips or Amptron.
Look for an emblem on the back of the board that says manufactured and imported by ELDOR Corporation, it is small and etched on the back of the board. if you got that board it is the same bullshit crap board i owned
Just my two cents
Oh and yes Awdflash or Amiflash will pull VPP to 12v rail through the on board logic even on boards with no jumper for VPP when it does the chip detect. try it you might learn something...
cp
BIOS Guru

The m520 that i owned had a design flaw when jp5 was set to 12v for VPP the VCC line was at 12v I even checked it with a multimeter after i burned out 3 flashroms on it.
OUH, that sounds like PCChips really has been THAT stupid :( this means that JP5 should NEVER be set to +12V.
Oh and yes Awdflash or Amiflash will pull VPP to 12v rail through the on board logic even on boards with no jumper for VPP when it does the chip detect. try it you might learn something...
software can not pull anything anywhere. they can just control some switches, that's all. they will trigger the onboard logic, right. if Vpp is left unconnected (e.g. no jumper on a valid motherboard layout) it will be pulled exactly nowhere since it is floating.

the datasheets even state that Vpp not switched anyway (neither by software nor by hardware) but hardwired to a certain voltage level (on the M520 by JP5 if it would work like it should have). all read/write operations (like reading dev/mfr ids) are controlled via _OE, _WE and _CE.
cee710

hello cp and Yezok the chip should be coming Wednesday or thursday.i ordered 2 chips.i dont see any name on this motherboard front or back.it is a clone of pc chips or something else. i tested 32 pin socket holder pin 1 (vpp) to pin 16 (vss) it is 12v i moved jp 5 to 5v and then retested voltage and now its 5v (4.9v actual reading) also tested pin 16 (vss) to pin 32 (vcc) voltage is 4.9v.the motherboard seems to be ok no burn marks,discolor, caps look ok. on power up psu putting out 12 vdc and 5 vdc ok.ill just leave jp 5 on 5v and see what happens when i get the chip and reflash it.thanks again for all help.
have a nice day.

cee710
[Yezok]

cp wrote: software can not pull anything anywhere. they can just control some switches, that's all. they will trigger the onboard logic, right. if Vpp is left unconnected (e.g. no jumper on a valid motherboard layout) it will be pulled exactly nowhere since it is floating.
You had better check that out Yes software can pull the VPP line to 12 Supply Rail, It does so through a device called an I/O such as an IT8705 or similar I/O chip and and a switch or gate (usually a 74xxx series or 4000 series and a transistor.
Modern mother Boards Do Not require the setting of jumpers or switches to produce the proper control voltage's on the corresponding pins, this circuitry is incorporated into the I/O IC and/or motherboard and is software controlled hence the software can and will pull the control pins like WE, CE and OE high or low an VPP to the 12V supply if Required.
VCC and GND are not controllable and are always at their respective supply rails.
New boards that still use Flash and not LPC/Firmware Hub still maintain backward compatibility with older Flash Devices.
This is why you can use use a Flash Rom that Requires 12v VPP in the place of a Flash parts that does not use Pin 1 VPP such as W29C020 OR 39SF020 There are no jumpers on these boards and the software does in fact pull VPP to 12v if req2uired.
All that is required is that the the chip be pre-programmed and the board be able to post in order to apply new firmware update, Ami Flash and Award Flash both make use of the auto select mode during chip detect which provides manufacturer and device identification, and use the appropriate programming algorithm and apply proper VPP Voltage Selection during erase/programming function.
the datasheets even state that Vpp not switched anyway (neither by software nor by hardware)
Umm Wrong: VPP is toggled ON or high during Erase/Program function. If it were not the chip would be in always in Erase/Program mode.
It would be pretty bad if the chip was always in the Erase-programming mode with VPP hard wired to the 12V Supply rail.
I would think that bios corruption would result fairly quickly.

Anyways cee710 Please check the back side of you M520 motherboard and ensure that there is no trace between Pin1 and pin32 of the 32pin DIP Socket.
There may have been good reason why the bios chip was pulled.
Sorry for Hijacking your Thread I did not come here to discuss the specifics of what happens when programming a flash.
Just make sure you do not have that trace, check it with a multimeter
cee710

hi i looked at the back of motherboard with a magnify glass at all the traces, all traces look ok thanks for the concern i did check also with meter power off and power on.so far everything checks ok.just a question since im getting the cat280f10 chip i program file xxxx.L bin? or xxxx.S.bin.? I really appreciate the help from everyone on the forum. thank you.

also compared with the cat28f010 would you know which chip it comes close with from the bottom list that you provided thank you very much.
MX28F1000PX 12 V Large 16 K (xxxxxxx)L.bin
MX28F1000PL 12 V Large 16 K (xxxxxxx)L.bin
MX28F1000PC 12 V Large 16 K (xxxxxxx)L.bin
MX28F1000PPC 12 V small 4 K (xxxxxxx)s.bin
i28F001BX-T120 12 V small 4 K (xxxxxxx)s.bin
SST 29EE010 5 V small 4 K (xxxxxxx)s.bin
Winbond 29EE011 5 V small 4 K (xxxxxxx)s.bin
ATMEL 29C010 5 V small 4 K (xxxxxxx)s.bin

p.s the programmer is a willem 5.0
have a nice day

cee710