Nvidia Raid Ide Sata bios Upgrade help please

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
selkov
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have an MSI K8N NEO4 PLATINUM [MS-7125 v1].
The current Nvidia Raid Ide Sata bios version is 4.84.

What is the newest version available for this board?
How / where can I get a copy of it?
An what is NVPXE.rom ?
cp
BIOS Guru

i've seen via sata raid bios v4.90 on jetway mainboards. maybe you can hack it out there..

pxe:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preboot_Ex ... nvironment
selkov

I own several K8N NEO4 Platinum MOBOS.
I have been plagued by NVIDIA RAID related issues from day one.
Also I have been unable to utilize the Silicon Image ports as either a boot drive or as NON RAIDed ports.

I have spoken with MSI & Nvidia several times. But they have been useless. USELESS
Msi latest response to my support was...opps sorry..must be misprint!
Nvidia is worse, even when I asked What Time is it where you work I was told that Nvidia does not support end usser customer service!

Over the past 5 years I have been a loyal MSI customer. Throuh my personal use, that of friends, and what I use at work I have purchased near 75 MSI MOBOS. Over the last 2 years the quality of customer service has gotten more confusing and less helpful……. Multiple webpages with conflicitng drivers, Files with different names containing the same drivers, Online update and LIVE update supplying differnt drivers still. THEN MSITW differs still again!

MSI has gotten fat and cares little for the people who but it there.

MY PROBLEM HAS BEEN SOLVED! AND NOT BY MSI.
THE BOARD DOES SUPPORT NON RAIDed SATA DRIVES

After countless hours of research I found a from Silicon Image an OEM.TXT message stateing..
"NOTE: If installing Windows 2000, you must first edit the txtsetup.oem file on the driver installation disk and delete the line from the [Config.Si3114] section that reads:
value = Parameters\PnpInterface, "5", REG_DWORD, 1"
Problem 1 solved....
AND MSI COULD NOT SUPPLY THE INFORMATION ON HOW TO DO THAT!

Then I find out that all the MOBO bios that MSI supplied online contain the same NVidia RAID bios 4.84.---ALL OF THEM.
Another forum user supplied me with an Nvidia bios 5.6, I replaced that in my bios.
Problem 2 Solved....
AND MSI COULD NOT SUPPLY THE INFORMATION ON HOW TO DO THAT!

When I questioned MSI they said...we are not aware of any newer riad bios (even though they are on thier boards) and told me I need to Contact Nvidia.

When I questioned Nvidia I was told we are unable to even verify to you f there is a newer bios than the one you have....call MSI!

2 Years of suffering with this customer bull"I'm a potty mouth".
To hell with them all I will NOT BUY MSI AGAIN!

I will not purchase MSI productds again.
maman
Master Flasher

I think NVPXE.rom is the PCI expansion ROM for the onboard LAN controller chip. I think it's not needed unless you use it to boot from LAN :wink:
cp
BIOS Guru

quote from the wikipedia article i posted the link for:
The Preboot Execution Environment (PXE, aka Pre-Execution Environment, or 'pixie') is an environment to boot computers using a network interface card independently of available data storage devices (like hard disks) or installed operating systems.
Brian_Manchester

Hi selkov

I'm in the same position you were in - rubbish outdated NVIDIA RAID bios on MSI board.

The trouble is, I don't know how to modify it.

I notice that you've made reference to doing exactly that.

Could you send me the NVIDIA bios (or poiint me where I can get it), and how to replace the old MSI suppied with the new.

Many thanks

Brian
Brian_Manchester

I've got it sorted.

Took the Nvidia raid bios out of an ASUS Nvidia based mainboard bios image, and used awdbedit to replace that section in a copy of the current bios for my MSI board.

Updated hardware bios 'offline', and it runs just great.
DoZe2
BIOS Newbie

Hi :)

The latest available for nForce 4 chipset is NVRAID ROM 5.60
you can find 6.87 version but this one or other 6.xx don't work with nF4 chipset

Not only MSI board have Outdated nvraid or other rom.
All Manufaturer have some old motherboard with crappy old Bios like this.