Relating strings to code?

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
phewtoo
New visitors - please read the rules.

Only just started playing with this, so don't shout at me TOO LOUDLY :)

I'm using a T43p Phoenix bios that I would like to investigate further.

..in particular look at the possibility of bypassing the hard-disk type check that seems to have been implemented -whether this is clever or not is another issue-.

The 2010 error string can be found in the STRINGS0.rom that I get from various tools found here -thanks-.

There is a pointer table -(+0x1c header stuff) at the top of this file that relates to the strings; my question is: Is there any way of relating that string back to the code that would be using it?
maman
Master Flasher

OK. I'm not so sure about the particular solution for your question. But, I have a hint for you to deal with HDD/IDE related routines. Look for routines that accesses the IDE controller, i.e. read/write to port address 1F7h or 177h such as this:

Code: Select all

mov ax, 0x1F7
out   dx, ax
or

mov ax, 0x177
out   dx, ax
As an addition, you might want to look for procedure/routine that implemented the ATA command set :wink:
phewtoo
New visitors - please read the rules.

Thanks for that maman, I will try and investigate while I'm at work -for the nrxt 2 weeks :( -.

So, there is no known relationship betwenn STRINGS and CODE that you guys know of?...looks like simething to play with then ;)
maman
Master Flasher

phewtoo wrote:So, there is no known relationship betwenn STRINGS and CODE that you guys know of?...looks like simething to play with then ;)
hmm.., maybe something like printf(..) within the BIOS. I see. It would be an

int 10h
or

mov string to frame buffer at 0xB0000 (sometimes 0xB8000) 
related routine. The problem is the occurence of this routine is not rare within the BIOS that I've disassembled, so it would lead to a lot of searching. Anyway, combined with the HDD/IDE initialization pattern above, I think you already have enough arsenal to attack the problem :D