Request: Modding a Silicon Image 3112 Sata Bios

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
Slack3er
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have posted this in other forums, so to improve my chances of a response. I'll going to post here to. Sorry. Any help is appreciated.

I'm just wondering if anyone could mod my PCI Sata Controller Silicon Image 3112A 150R Bios(4.2.47) for me.
Image: http://www.soft3.net/hardware_images/sii3112.jpg

My problem is I have a Sata Hitachi-LG DVD Drive GDR-3120L RomVer: 0046DH from a Xbox 360 . I want to use it in my computer, but the drive is not detected by my PCI card. When I boot with the drive connected it justs hangs when trying to detect it then boots to lilo. SeventhSon(http://www.kev.nu/360/dvd.html) has a PCI card like mine, he got his drive detected by the card by doing a hardware mod, it holds tray_status low during drive's startup. But the mod is too risky for me.

But what SeventhSon explained to me, it looks like the drive doesn't respond to a standard ATAPI Inquiry command. I'm wondering if someone could mod my bios to send a none standard Inquiry command? This is what SeventhSon thinks what needs to be modded.

"The Hitachi-LG 360 drive requires a non-standard Inquiry command. It requires that two vendor specific bits are set in the command packet or it fails.

If you can modify the BIOS to add these two bits when it sends an Inquiry command, then there's a very good chance that it will get everything working.

The bits in question are bits 6 and 7 at offset 5 into the ATAPI Inquiry command packet. These both need to be set to 1."

Any help you can provide is very much appreciated. If you need any other details ask.

Regards;
Slack3er
maman
Master Flasher

I couldn't help a lot though. But, if you want to play around the PCI cards BIOS. I've written an indepth article on PCI expansion ROM (PCI cards BIOS) at: If I have enough time, I may take a look at the binary next week.

cheers,
maman a.k.a Pinczakko :wink:
Slack3er
New visitors - please read the rules.

Thanks maman, definely helpful.

I've read though some of your articles, really interesting. I do know some c++, but I'm also trying to learn some assembly. I've read some articles on MN103 assembly, I can understand some basic code. But I still have a long way to go, LOL. I'll probably start learning X86, from the ebook your recommended Art of Assembly on your site.

If you do get a chance to look at that binary, that would be great. But If you don't, the help you give me so far is more than appreciated. 8) I'll diferently plug your site. Pinczakko :)

Regards;
Slack3er

PS: I noticed you use Slackware in your experiments, good man. :)
PS2: I'm trying to learn about the xbox 360. If your interested, over to xboxhacker.net, their reversing the 360. Goal include information and getting custom code like Linux to run.