Serial Bios / Award Modular Bios

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
ts
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi there,

sorry for posting to the "expert"-section but I didn't find a better place for my question. I recently read about "serial bios"-capabilities on some server boards. As I'm very interested in this technology I downloaded some bioses for boards which have support for serial bios or "Award Preboot Agent" (how is it called in Award's terms) but didn't find a module called serialbios.rom or s.th. like that :?.

Does anyone have an idea, in which module the code for serial bioses is located? Is it awardext.rom or how can I find out?

The other question would be: If I have a home-user board with an award bios, might it be possible to add this capability to the bios (as soon as I find the right module?) or are there any other prerequisites for this technolgy?

Thanks in advance for any answer,

ts
maman
Master Flasher

I don't know for sure, but I think it's NOT located in ANY module for any standard award bios. I think it's implemented as an expansion ROM module, just like SCSI card ROM routine (SCSI "bios"), which traps the int 19h (bootstrap). Perhaps it's similar to my expansion rom os project. The difference is, my expansion rom os needed a PCI "LAN" card to achieve this, I don't about award's implementation, but perhaps it's similar in some aspect. As for the expansion rom os that I developed, it can be made "card-less". I mean it can be made not to require any PCI "LAN" card if I made it as an ISA expansion ROM which won't need anything other than integrating itself as an isa expansion ROM in the mainbard BIOS. I didn't do so since I need the flexibility of moving back and forth between my expansion rom os and my "real" OS, i.e. windows and linux during it's development and daily use of my computer, but it's very easy to do so if I really want it :twisted: . So, the basic idea is trap int 19h for their own purposes :D. More info about award bios can be found in the frontpage of my website. I didn't mean to promote it :oops:, just in case you needed more info's :D.
PeteV
BIOS Rookie

Hi!

Please, check e.g. the pages

-> http://www.nexflash.com/

if there would be some info you are after ...

Best regards,

Pete V.