"Shocking" fact about PCI Expansion ROM

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
maman
Master Flasher

Recently, I'm frustrated to find a flash rom chip for my new realtek RTL8139 NIC to continue my "OS_in_PCI_Expansion-ROM" project, being unable to find such a chip that would work with my new card, I came across the idea of really hacking a different kind of PCI card that initially have flash rom chip from it's manufacturer to ease the continuation of my project. PCI spec 2.1 and 2.2 also the PnP Bios Boot spec says that the motherboard BIOS boot from LAN feature "only" (read--not so sure until I try it) checks the feature from the expansion ROM of the "NIC" (he..he.. :twisted: or a "hacked into NIC" PCI expansion card) and proceeds accordingly, through int 19h interface (please correct me if I'm wrong). Then the hypothetical conclusion is this: "ANY PCI expansion card can boot just like a typical bootable LAN Card provided we have the 'right' PCI expansion ROM BIOS". So, I give it a try, since I don't have another cheap solution to this problem. And voila', it works very nicely, the mainboard BIOS is fooled to boot from my hacked PCI expansion rom card, here's the detail: Adaptec AHA-2940U SCSI controller card (VendorID = 9004, DeviceID = 8178), with soldered PLCC SST29C512 flashrom (64KByte). The binary flashed using innoficial flash program (flash4.exe). The result is awesome and a bit weird, no matter how I changed the BIOS setup, the PCI initialization routine always get called during POST, I think this is due to the controller's chip Subclass Code and Interface Code, which is a SCSI controller/boot device in the Adaptec controller chip (AICXXX), hence it's always called by the mainboard BIOS at boot. The hacked BIOS
make it behave as if it's a real PCI NIC except for the peculiarity mentioned above, my system boot from the card (through it's BEV routine) if I select boot from LAN in the BIOS setup of my mainboard. One thing to notice is I've changed the PCI vendor ID and device ID to match the ID's in the adaptec controller chip from my previous OS source code (for the Realtek based NIC), otherwise it won't boot (I think this what would happen, I haven't try this :D).
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

If you want a "normal" boot process (with complete POST), you need to hook int19h when your code gets initialized. Int 19h is the last thing that is called by BIOS to start booting.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere