some basic questions for CoreBoot experts

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
logicman112
New visitors - please read the rules.

There are some functions in the source code of coreboot version 4 which have not defined any where like pci_get_dev(), What does it mean? Is Coreboot-V4 is incomplete?

Is coreboot using some library functions of Linux distribution? I saw some header files like <stdio.h> , where are their definitions?

Is it compulsory for Coreboot to be linked with a Linux kernel?

Do we use GCC of the Linux distribution or Coreboot source code has a separate GCC? Can Coreboot be used with Linux kernel 2.6.34? Can GCC make an absolute compiled code, I mean the result code do not be relocatable. Please write a GCC command to make a absolute binary.

What is the first function of the Coreboot code? Where is it?

What programming languages have been used with CoreBoot?

There are many questions and documentation is very short. Do you know any
EPROM emulator for PC motherboards instead of BIOS chip?
sharky
BIOS Newbie

logicman112 wrote:There are some functions in the source code of coreboot version 4 which have not defined any where like pci_get_dev(), What does it mean? Is Coreboot-V4 is incomplete?
coreboot v4 is complete. pci_get_dev is only used in userspace software which is independent from coreboot.
logicman112 wrote:Is coreboot using some library functions of Linux distribution? I saw some header files like <stdio.h> , where are their definitions?
coreboot does not use any library functions. stdio.h is only used by userspace code which is not part of coreboot.
logicman112 wrote:Is it compulsory for Coreboot to be linked with a Linux kernel?
No.
logicman112 wrote:Do we use GCC of the Linux distribution or Coreboot source code has a separate GCC?
You can use the GCC shipped with your Linux distribution, but coreboot also offers a tested GCC version.
logicman112 wrote:Can Coreboot be used with Linux kernel 2.6.34?
Yes.
logicman112 wrote:Can GCC make an absolute compiled code, I mean the result code do not be relocatable. Please write a GCC command to make a absolute binary.
Yes.
logicman112 wrote:What is the first function of the Coreboot code? Where is it?
It depends on the CPU.
logicman112 wrote:What programming languages have been used with CoreBoot?
C and Assembler.
logicman112 wrote:There are many questions and documentation is very short.
There are over 100 pages of documentation, and the coreboot wiki has lots of information. You could ask on the coreboot mailing list if you have more questions.
logicman112 wrote:Do you know any EPROM emulator for PC motherboards instead of BIOS chip?
Yes. The Artec FlexyICE http://www.artecgroup.com/flexyice works very well and it is pretty affordable.