VMware ESX custom bios

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
msellai
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello All

So i have been testing some vmware esx 4 boxes running vmware esx 4 as a guest OS. Everything runs great except I cannot run any 64 bit Operating System as Guest OS inside the nested esx 4 Guest OS.

I have been doing a lot of research and there are no standard hacks for this. So i have a theory and I need your help at wimbios to test my theory.

This is my theory if i can replace my bios of my nested esx 4 Guest OS with the Manufacturers BIOS of my Physical Hardware (Dell r710) and i am able to boot into this bios i could enable VT-x virtualization on the CPU i could then build a 64 bit Guest OS inside my Nested esx 4 Guest OS and it would work and not bock at me saying when i start the Guest OS I am not running a 64 bit system.

Does any one have instructions from start to finish to replace the native vmware bios with your own custom bios so i can test this?

Thanks
mike
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Part of the vmware bios is translation of your current hardware to a standard hardware set inside the bios. If you put in a custom bios that will look for the hardware directly. Which it will not find as there's an OS layer between it and the actual hardware. ESX is not as transparent as you would wish it to be, then again that makes it so very versatile at the same time.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...