Search found 15 matches

by dos-freak
Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:17 pm
Forum: My motherboard is dead
Topic: Boot Block BIOS flash doesn't work
Replies: 48
Views: 88498

..even tough it won't work anyway, because command.com relies on the DOS-Kernel, it's just a command interpreter. I already explained it here: http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/viewtopi ... 4&start=15
by dos-freak
Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:04 am

Ok, as you're using a "DOS-based" OS, this should be possible too (basically you are doing a format a: /s via GUI). Verify that afterwards there is a io.sys, a msdos.sys and a command.com file on your disk (the first 2 are hidden files). If booting still fails using that same bootdisk, there may be ...
by dos-freak
Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:21 am

As it says: "Insert system disk", you don't need my utility, as it'S already trying to execute the boot sector. My utility is just for Bootblock-versions which request to insert a disk with awdflash.exe so that you are able to boot normally. Are you sure, you created a correct bootdisk with a sane b...
by dos-freak
Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:06 pm

I'm sorry, you must have tried to download the file while my Apache didn't work. I did a apt-get upgrade on my debian box and it failed to restart Apache properly. I came back after a hour and fixed the problem, I'm sorry for the downtime :)
by dos-freak
Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:26 pm
Forum: Notebook BIOS and other problems
Topic: Dell inspiron 8110 Bios Image. Please.
Replies: 6
Views: 8367

I am curious if stripping the first 64k of the .exe flasher works or not. I got the idea because when i analyzed the file, i found some padding bytes in there and i found out from the .exe, that the bios seems to be 512k in size. Everything in the .exe that can be considered program code was within ...
by dos-freak
Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:43 am
Topic: NEED HELP WITH GATEWAY SOLO 9500!!!
Replies: 3
Views: 4907

OK, i downloaded one of these .exe files and recognised, that there seems to be a 512 K flash ROM. I analysed the header of these flash .exe Files and the bios flash-routine seems to be 1 segment (64k) and the rest of 512k is the BIOS .bin file, I think. So you just have to strip the first 64k of th...
by dos-freak
Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:50 am
Topic: BIOS ROM Checksum error - Floppy detects tho!!!
Replies: 26
Views: 19503

It's not that simple.. When you rename command.com to .exe, the file format still remains .com, meaning, that there is NO .exe Header in it. Now if the bootblock expects a MZ - header, it searches for an EIP in the .exe file in order to know to which location it has to jump to start executing the Ex...
by dos-freak
Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:46 pm
Topic: BIOS ROM Checksum error - Floppy detects tho!!!
Replies: 26
Views: 19503

Ritchie: Are you sure, that copying command.com to awdflash.exe worked? As a .com file is a one-(64k)Segment (originally CPM-Style) program, which doesn't has its own data, code and stack segments like we know from the MZ-Format EXE-files, I don't think that the boot-block would like to execute it, ...
by dos-freak
Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:43 pm

MASM

Well, I already compiled it, just download the package mentioned above. I also tried to compile it with my old MASM first, but with MASM, my program only outputted garbage, so I rewrote it for TASM. Hint: I found the following site in google, where you can download TASM, if you're interested: http:/...
by dos-freak
Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:31 pm

.EXE

Well, it promptf you for awdflash.EXE, so it obviously is able to read and execute the MZ file format, and I think, it expects MZ. So renaming from .COM wouldn't do it.
But if you have a chance, you may give it a try.

dos-freak
by dos-freak
Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:08 am

done

Ok, now it can be found at:

http://dose.0wnz.at/awdblock.zip

so that nobody is confused. I also corrected the docs. Is it okay now? :)
Thank you for your suggestions!

dos-freak
by dos-freak
Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:27 pm

Binary package

I have refined the code a bit (now it displays, what it does, maybe useful for debugging), compiled it, added a little readme and put it together in a package, which can be optained at: http://dose.0wnz.at/awdflash.zip I hope, that it's useful to somebody and Feedback would be greatly appreciated. T...
by dos-freak
Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:56 am

Solved..

Once again, I seemed to have solved the problem myself. I wrote a little loader, which executes the code in the boot-sector of a Floppy, so that I'm able to load MS-DOS, even when only the boot block BIOS works. It provides us Keyboard, Disk and Disply Interrupts, so that we still can use ms-dos nor...
by dos-freak
Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:45 am

Boot Block BIOS flash doesn't work

Hi! I tried to flash my Chaintech 7AIA5 - Board toaday with the newser BIOS - Version from http://www.chaintech.com.tw:8008/AP/BIOS/model.asp?model=7AIA5 I started the AWDFLASH-Utility via ALT+F2 and inserted a floppy with the new BIOS-file. The utility immediately started to work and in the middle ...