Bios Bin Needed

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
SeaWolf
New visitors - please read the rules.

HELP :cry: I have a Gateway model GT5220 pc. It has an ECS C51PVGM-GB Motherboard. Gateway part number 4006136R. I believe mey bios is corrupt and can't find the flash file anywhere. It is a pheonix award bios. I had a bad virus and malware which I have finally cleaned out but the bios and operating system nolonger sees any new hardware. Much Thanks in Advance!
cp
BIOS Guru

doesn't see any new hardware means that the machine is still running? if so which hardware isn't detected when plugged/built in? my guess is that the problem is more OS related (we are talking about Windows, aren't we?).
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
SeaWolf

Ok and Thanks for responding. Windows XP media center sp 3 OS. Here is the deal with this box. It runs 24/7 on a UPS/came home and all fans running full speed with no video from pci-e express card. Shut off connected to on board video-rebooted and works with fans running normal. Installed new video card/set bios to init pci-e first but no go. Windows doesn't detect card at all. Noted that the onboard nic is nolonger detected and disapeared from network connections as well. Shows up in device manager though? I had installed a linsys pci nic some time ago and it was still working so am able to get on the net etc. Ran Avast virus and SAS spyware/found Rootkit.TDServ Malware. Removed Malware from device manager/advaced view/cleaned out with SDfix in safemode. These Malwares are tons of fun to eliminate. Still no plug and play detection of either the new video card or the onboard nic? Read that the bios can get corrupted by these Malwares but never ran into it before. Searched Gateway and ecs for the bios bin but no help :cry: Sorry for the Rant but this is getting to me.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

recovery CD/DVD time.

Rootkits can play nasty with your windows install to a very deep level. This has nothing to do with the bios but everything with borking up your windows registry. I have experienced the same problem a while back with a different rootkit/trojan, hence I know... They will scr*w up your restore points as well.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
cp
BIOS Guru

Read that the bios can get corrupted by these Malwares but never ran into it before.
this is an urban legend. it is not impossible but it is very very very unlikely. if you want details on why it is i can supply more information on the matter.

i'd take edwin's advice: reinstallation time (again)
SeaWolf

Agreed and that is my next step. Still I would really like the bios bin and I was really frustrated searching the net for it with no success. I will report back after backing up all my stuff and doing the format thing:)
cp
BIOS Guru

gateway has an internet page (surprise!) with a very good support page. you just need to enter the serial# of your system and it'll display all files/updates available.
SeaWolf

Indeed they do and I was there long before asking here.
There is no Bios file listed at the support page nor anywhere on their site for this board: http://support.gateway.com/support/driv ... ndows%20XP
An email to support went un answered and so did the request to ecs?
Been working/building on these systems since the dos days so am not a newbie but as we all know noone knows everything when it comes to pc's.
Either way I have finished a complete format and reinstall OS. Same problem the board nolonger sees or boots off the pci-e slot. It will boot of a pci slot card so the only thing I can figure is that pci-e slot has a problem. The onboard video works fine using 512mb ram just the pci-e nolonger works.
cp
BIOS Guru

change the init order of the vga cards in the bios. there must be some option like 'primary vga'.
you could try flashing the ECS bios but your mainboard might be a special gateway version. if so flashing could brick the board and thus we only recommend it to those who can hotflash/externally program their chips.
SeaWolf

Yes I tried setting pci-e to init first but was no go. To top it off this box uses a btx mainboard even though Gateway says it's an atx? Can get a btx Intel board and use a Pentium D cpu (all the rest ram etc can be trans ferred) I may go that route. A replacement board for this amd is around $200 with a 30 day warranty? I am in the process of building a dual xeon box to replace this one. Am using 2x 2.8ghz cpu's in it and it should be as fast as this one.