bios upgrade for a gateway p4 with XP-floppy disk problem

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
bigdaddy0155
New visitors - please read the rules.

i downloaded a bios update for an intel mv85010a motherboard from gateway download site. i then copied it to a floppy as per instructions.
when i try to boot from the floppy i get a "non system disk or disk error"
just to check the drive i tried my rescue disk and the drive is fine.any suggestions out there

i have downloaded various other bios updates over the past 6 months and have had the same issue.the system is running fine without the update.

thanks kevin
soupy
Absentee administrator

Something seems to have gone wrong with the creation of the diskette. Go over the instructions again, to see if you missed a step in the process.
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

I think all of the steps were missed. I does not say anywhere to copy the file to the floppy. Read the instructions, that is what they are made for...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
bigdaddy0155

1. After you have downloaded and double-clicked the BIOS update file (7513210.exe), the files self-extract and copy into the C:\Cabs\7513210 folder on the hard drive.

2. On your screen or from the Start menu, double-click the My Computer icon.

3. In the My Computer window, double-click the C: icon.

4. In the C:\ window, double-click the Cabs folder. If you do not see any files, click View the entire contents of the drive.

5. In the C:\Cabs window, double-click the 7513210 folder.

6. In the C:\Cabs\7513210 window, from the Edit menu, click Select All.

7. From the Edit menu, click Copy.

8. Quit all programs and close all windows.

9. Place a formatted, blank floppy disk in the floppy disk drive.

10. On your screen or from the Start menu, double-click the My Computer icon.

11. In the My Computer window, double-click the A: icon.

12. In the A:\ window, from the Edit menu, click Paste. The files are copied to the floppy disk.
Jaded

bigdaddy0155,

Just out of curiosity, I downloaded the update you mentioned (7513210.exe, right?) and looked at the instructions on Gateway's site. As hard as it is to believe, Gateway screwed up massively with its instructions and the packaging of its update file. What you really need is a bootable floppy, which isn't covered by either their instructions or their download. There's a way around this, though. Use it at your own risk - I don't own a Gateway and haven't tested their update:
  • Step 1) You have 3 choices for the first step. If you're running Win9x (95, 98, 98SE, ME) follow (a), (b) or (c). If you're running Win 2000 or Win XP, follow (c).
    1. (a) Insert a blank floppy disk into your floppy (A:) drive. Double-click on My Computer, right-click the floppy drive icon, and choose "Format". Make sure the "Copy System File" box is checked and the "Full" radio button is selected - press "OK" to format the disk.

(b) If you already have a blank, formatted floppy disk, open the Start Menu, click Run and type:
      SYS C: A:

(c) Download the "WinME plain boot disk" image from http://www.putergeek.com/downloads/#winme_plain
      Double-click on the downloaded file and follow the instructions. The program will format your floppy and write the necessary system files to make it bootable.
  • Step 2) Copy all of the files from C:\Cabs\7513210 EXCEPT IO.SYS and COMMAND.COM to the floppy.
  • Step 3) Follow the rest of Gateway's instructions.
Good luck!