bootblock bios rom checksum error heat sensitive

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
jessj
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi - I'm afraid I'm an ignorant newbie, so sorry if I'm asking stupid question. Have an old HP 864n desktop that seems to have a bios issue. On dead cold boot get bootblok bios rom checksum error. After many retries, sometimes it loaded default bios settings, could enter bios setup, reset and get to HP "Invent" screen. Started to wonder if getting beyond bootblock was due to system heating up. Tried directing heat from hairdryer at bios chip for a few seconds. On immediate boot, bios loads with defaults, etc. And as long as system is hot, can shutdown and restart normally.

Have I discovered anything worthwhile, (other than a complicated procedure for powering up a pc)? Is the heat (or cold) sensitivity indicative of a physically bad bios chip, a chip just not well burned, or motherboard issue? Or could answer still be any of these or other issues. Any thoughts what best course of attack would be? Thanks, and sorry if this is dumb on my part. - jessj
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Replace the CMOS backup battery. Most likely that is a coin cell CR2032 lithium 3V. If you cannot find that I'll have to dig up the spec sheet for this dinosaur and see what battery they used.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
jessj
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hey - Thanks Edwin. I have changed out the battery, but result unfortunately is exactly same. I suppose next least costly/invasive step would be flashing/ updating bios. but I'm reluctant to attempt this as I have not done before, and since will boot normally (as long as hot) suspect that bios does have good info.

Also, I am confused re bios version. Bios identification on pc says Phoenix-Award Bios v6.00pg copyright 84-2002 Phoenix. Copyright 2003, HP. revision 3.26 10/16/2003. But the only bios update for this system available on the HP website does not seem to match. It states 864n system bios update for ms-6577 motherboard. 2003-12-30, version 3.25. sp24029.exe 984.04k. Installed bios version is 3.26 10/16/2003 while HP update is version 3.25 12/30/2003? Seems weird,Why the slight mismatch? Am I not reading this right, misunderstanding?

Should I attempt flashing the HP update, or simply go straight to getting a replacement chip? Any wisdom appreciated. - thanks jessj
Denniss
BIOS Guru

I don't think this is an issue with Bios or the Bios chip. Sounds more like a hardware issue.
Please check motherboard for bad capacitors and look into the PSU as well (from the outside, be careful not to touch anythin inside).
http://www.badcaps.net, example images on the bottom right.