Booting from CD with XP Pro?

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
wsanders
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello,

I want to change my bios so that I can boot from a CD containing a Linux install program. I have my disk partitioned and I want to have part of my computer to be Linux and the other part Win.

Thanks in advance.

Bill
soupy
Absentee administrator

Assuming your BIOS supports it, you can change boot order in the BIOS Setup. If that option is not there, look for an upgrade.
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
wsanders

Soupy,

Thank you. I guess my question is, how do I change the boot order in the bios? I can get there, but I wasn't positive how to re-order the boot order. Sorry for being so dense on this subject.

TIA
Bill :?
jiteo
BIOS Rookie

All the BIOSes I have seen did support it, but I haven't seen all that much compared to others here.

Just browse around the menus and options. Eventually you'll get to something like Boot Order or First Boot Device, Second Boot Device, and so on. Change it!

enjoy!
Artom
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

There is often something on the screen in the BIOS that tells you what keys to use to change options.
wsanders

Gentlemen,

Thank you all! I got it working fine, was able to re-order the BOOT hierarchy and launch from my CD -- couldn't have done it without your tips.

Bill :D