Booting Problems

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
kyle
New visitors - please read the rules.

I've just built my 1st computer everything in fine execpt 1 thing;
p4-2.66ghz
ram-512
Agp card-256mb 8x
dvd rom/dvd +-r/rw/cdr
board-p4p8x by asus
windows xp pro

Everytime I turn on my computer I get an message that reads; NEW CPU
INSTALLED! PLEASE ENTER SETUP TO CONFIGURE YOUR SYSTEM. PRESS
F1 TO RUN SET UP PRESS F2 TO LOAD DEFAULT VALUES AND CONTINUE.

Ok after I press f1 to configure my bios and I save and exit the computer restarts and displays the same message again. For some reason my bios wont let me save setting. If I press f2 my system will bootup with default bios setting and when shut the system down and restart the system Im :( right back to that same old message again you know press f1/f2
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Did you change the CMOS battery jumper from the shipping position ?
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
kyle

I tried that and I still get the same message for some strange reason this thing will not boot into windows are it will not let me save changes to my bios
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Maybe the battery is not making proper contact with the connectors in the holder. Check that and if possible hold the battery in place and apply a little pressure (not too much to damage anything!) while you save the settings (hopefully this is not too difficult to do with only two hands) just to see if it retains settings then. If it does you basically know where your problem is.
kyle

I've tried that and still no luck; I think that I got an bad board or cpu but the weird thing is when I press F2 the system boot up and I can do everything. Anything else I should try just let me know thanks for the help
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I recently supplied a system to someone that I built using a P4P800S board. The first board turned out to be faulty. The wholesaler I got the board from told me that they know that in general Asus boards are very good boards and people don't usually have any problems with them, except that for some reason the boards they get have an 8 out of 10 failure rate. However, once the board is replaced once by them the second one is usually fine.

I suspect you have a faulty board, even before looking at the battery. I would be contacting the place you got it from, see what they say and request a warranty replacement. Sounds to me like a reasonable problem and reason to request warranty support.
kyle

:D thanks for your help im up and running it was a bad board so I took it back to Tiger Direct and in 1hr I had a new one installed. Once Again Thanks
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Glad to hear you got it working - From what I am hearing now I am starting to get a little suspicious about the quality and handling of these Asus boards, even though I previously believed they were pretty much excellent.