Can't access BIOS, but boots to Windows.Can I read settings?

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
andygold
New visitors - please read the rules.

I read the other similar threads and could not find exactly what I was looking for. I have not made any changes to the system recently (at least from the last time I accessed the BIOS). Everything was running well, until I tried to hotsync my Sony Clie PDA. The attempted hotsycing did not cause any problem itself (I think), but pointed one out. The COM port kept coming up as being busy. I tried to figure out what was using the port to no avail. I decided to get into the BIOS to see if anything was amiss. But, of course, I can't get in. When booting and hitting delete (MSI K8N Neo2 mobo) all I get is a black screen with a blinking cursor at the top left, and it proceeds no further. If booting normal, Windows comes up and works properly.

The machine was a bear to get running originally, and I cannot find my cheat sheets as to all the BIOS settings I chose when I built it. My last resort is a BIOS reset, as I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get it running again, without many, many days of tweaking.

Does any of this sound familiar? Anyone know of a way in without clearing the CMOS? Is there some Windows or DOS program that will let me snoop my BIOS settings, without actually being in the BIOS (I'd like to jot them down for after I clear the CMOS)?
andygold

Solved the problem( I think). The only thing I've changed in the last month was the change to a USB printer (Lexmark) from a Parallel printer (Compaq). I unplugged the USB printer cable from the mobo, and all is good as new. goes right into BIOS when asked. I've heard of USB keyboards and mice causing problems but have not heard of printers causing them. Is this a common problem? What connection would this have with my COM port (COM 1)?

And lastly...is there any way to print the screen while in the BIOS? This would save me tons of writing, trying to copy down all of my settings.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Sounds unusual, but I suspect one of the BIOS settings you tweaked may have caused this anomaly with the USB printer.

Now that you know how to access the BIOS, what I would consider doing is noting down all your customised BIOS settings, and then reset the BIOS to defaults. If the anomaly no longer occurs with the USB printer connected and the default BIOS settings, you then have the tedious task of going through your customised changes until you find what causes the apparent conflict with the USB printer.
andygold

Any software out there that will allow me to do screen captures (or something similar) of all my settings. I know it's the lazy way out, but I'd rather do that than write out all the pages and subpages.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I am sure there is software that will do that, although I do not know of any personally.

Hopefully others should be able to offer advise on this point.