Compaq Bios ?

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
Doc
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello everyone.This is my first time asking for help on a computer problem.I recently brought 2 compaq 4000 6266mmx and I didn't understand why it was only reading 8gigs so I start searching for and answer and I found some site that said older compaq computer only read 8 gigs and that you had to update the bios.So I went to compaq web site and seen 3 different kinds and I didn't know which one I need.So I started looking for the answer here and found that I needed to know what kind of motherboard.322734-001 which is the spare part and there was another # DO-008094-001,P13620Y1GGJ703 which I don't know.Can anyone tell me where I can get the update Bios so that I can install my 80gig hard drive?
Thank n advance
Toby B
Compaq-Fu Master

Can anyone tell me where I can get the update Bios so that I can install my 80gig hard drive?
Your local computer shop. You will need to get an add in card that allows you to add in hard drives. Unfortunately there are no known BIOS upgrades from compaq for this board to allow for an 80GB drive, and even with an add in card I am not sure that an 80GB drive will correctly be detedcted. and currently there is no way to patch the BIOS for large drive support.
Compaq-Fu Master
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

and even with an add in card I am not sure that an 80GB drive will correctly be detedcted
I suppose the main problem being the Compaq bios having trouble detecting the card properly, not the card having trouble with the drive.

If you can manage to get into the system setup with the diagnostics floppies you can check if it was picked up and it will work afterwards.

Had the same problem when I built a SCSI-only DeskPro 2000 test machine.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...