compaq presario cds 524

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
daniel_pt
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi, I'm new in this forum and I'm hopping this community help me solving this issue I have...

ok, I have this old presario cds 524 and the hard disk as developed major damage... I had another one, a little bit smaller, and I changed it...
My problem is that the computer don't recognize this new HD and I really don't know how to enter in the BIOS!!!!!

I've already read in this forum that after the red compaq logo to press F1 or F10 and I tried it, even thou when it starts there's no red compaq logo...

So, my question is: How do I enter this compaq BIOS!??

thanks!!
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Are you trying this with the new drive or the old drive?

The earlier models had the diagnostic stuff on the HD itself, so the F-key would take you to a "hidden" partition on the drive.

If your old drive is still good, you could try master/slaving them, then copy the diagnostic partition over to the new drive...unless you can find the setup disk to install it (as you asked in your other post).
daniel_pt

I tried all F's keys.. none of them do nothing... :?
so, I believe I do need that diag disk... and I've already searched for it in the compaq site, but I had no luck with it...
KachiWachi
The New Guy

The Diagnostic partition may be damaged then... :(

Just to make sure it is there, you can FDISK the drive (view only), and see if there are 2 partitions physically present.
daniel_pt

I've already tried it before came here.. FDISK tells me that there's no hard disks found.. So, I assumed I have to enter the pc bios and tell it there's a HD installed... but I as said, I don't know how to enter the computer bios!
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Another suggestion for entering the Presario BIOS is Ctrl-Alt-Esc....
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
daniel_pt

nops... didn't work that too
soupy
Absentee administrator

Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

soupy -

You know I did that, but I couldn't find anything on his PC...what did you put into the HP/COMPAQ search engine to get to that page???
jvnwrmr

Hi, I'm new in this forum and I'm hopping this community help me solving this issue I have...

ok, I have this old presario cds 524 and the hard disk as developed major damage... I had another one, a little bit smaller, and I changed it...
My problem is that the computer don't recognize this new HD and I really don't know how to enter in the BIOS!!!!!

I've already read in this forum that after the red compaq logo to press F1 or F10 and I tried it, even thou when it starts there's no red compaq logo...

So, my question is: How do I enter this compaq BIOS!??

thanks!
try hitiinf delete on red compaq screen.. :D
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Try ALT then ESC or ALT then F1 in quik sucession.