Comparing motherboards

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
minduka
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi
My computer was recently repaired because the motherboard and the processor were burned. I had a 'Abit Computer Pentium III BF6' and it was replaced by a 'Asus Intel 810 Chipset P3W'. Can you tell me which one is better? I know these are very old models but I just want to know which one is faster and more comatible to a cpu with 700Mhz, win98 SE. Thanks
soupy
Absentee administrator

Asus and Abit are #1 and #2 in the world in terms of quality.

The Abit BF6 had the older but rugged and rock-solid BX chipset.

The Asus has the newer but value 810 chipset.

Both have Slot 1, so you'll need a slotket card if you want to use an S370 CPU. They're both also limited to 100Mhz FSB, so no 133MHZ FSB CPU for you either way.

If you intend on playing any games on your PC, the Asus will NOT do. The i810 chipset has crappy onboard video, and no AGP slot.

If you never plan on gaming, I'd keep the Asus, it's newer tech, and with a 700Mhz CPU, it doesn't matter much at any rate.

Oh, one more thing, I hope you didn't pay too much for an 810 board and a 700Mhz CPU.
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
minduka

Thanks, that was very helpful. It cost me about $55.
soupy
Absentee administrator

$55 isn't too bad for a mobo and CPU installed.

Heh, I'd have dinged you $40 just for the install. ;)
minduka

WHAT? $40 for installing that? Why that much?
soupy
Absentee administrator

$40/hour isn't bad for labor. Some local computer shops will charge you even more.
minduka

Sorry if this doens't belong here, but I didn't want to make another thread. I'm trying to tweak my cpu and ram. I have the 'Asus Intel 810 Chipset P3W' running at 700mhz with 256mb DRAM. Can you give me any suggestions? Would it be safe? and most importantly, would it make a difference in overall speed? Thanks
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Not worth it. You can't overclock that much and the only place it would show is in benchmarks, not in real life.

You can add internal memory for more speed. Up to 512MB if you are on windows 95/98/Me or max out the board if running NT4/2k/XP.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
minduka

thanks for the advice. I have 256mb and it is still very slow. I defrag my hd but it is still slow, i also formatted and reintalled all my programs and it is still slow. are 256mb too little for computers these days? Would 512mb make a difference?