Computer will not boot

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
DoctorP62
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have a Compaq 1716CL desktop PC. It has an ASUS A8AE-LE Motherboard. The BIOS is Phoenix award bios Core v6.00 PG Revision3.08 09/13/2005. My problem: Original OS was Win XP home, Original hard drive had 2 partitions, One was for OS, and one was a restore partition. When booting the screen would say press f1 for setup, f12 for system restore. Somehow I blew out the OS, and the restore didn't work. I upgraded the memory, and installed Windows 7 ultimate. I formatted the restore partition and used it for the page file. Computer would boot but had a error, cant remember what it was, but hit space bar, and boot would continue. Worked great. I bought a new hard drive, formatted it, installed Windows 7 on it, and used orig drive for data and 'restore partition for page file. Still had error on boot but it worked. Decided to reinstall windows 7, I deleted both partitions on original drive, and made one big partition. Booted from Windows 7 DVD, Re-installed OS on C drive. When computer rebooted, it ran POST cleared screen and froze with funny characters in upper right corner. I think the BIOS is looking for a partition that no longer exists, and is locking up. What do I do? Can I change the BIOS, and how would I do it?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

bad capacitors on the board or in the power supply.

http://www.badcaps.net
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
DoctorP62

I can boot from DVD, just not from hard drive. The problem started when I deleted the old restore partition on the original drive. Can you find me a non-hp bios that is compatible with my Motherboard? Please.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

This is not a windows error but a hardware error that shows now you are putting some real strain on the system. Check your hardware first, the symptom I am describing is fairly common for this board. BTW there is a commercial non-HP bio for this one, but it costs money.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

DoctorP62

Where can I get it, and how much?
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Sounds like he was talking about an eSupport Bios. On top of the forum there's a green button named "Bios Update Scan". If they have a Bios for your machine then it would appear after running the Bios scan tool. Whether it's worth the money or not is the other question.
DoctorP62

Edwin,

Motherboard Specifications, A8AE-LE (AmberineM)

Motherboard description

• Motherboard manufacturer's name: ASUS A8AE-LE
• HP/Compaq name: AmberineM-GL6E

CPU/Processor
• Socket: 939
• Supports the following processors:
• AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
• Athlon 64 4000+
• AMD Sempron 3200+

I currently have the sempron processor, but can I upgrade my processor to the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+? The CPU socket will accept it, but will it work with my motherboard? Also, can you e-mail me a copy of the 3.14 bios? Please?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

I'll check on the CPU, will email the bios once I have my desktop running again, as the motherboard has blown a capacitor (oh the irony...).
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

DoctorP62

OK, Thank you. I'll be waiting for your e-mail. Do you have my e-mail address?
DoctorP62

BTW, a few years ago I had to change the processor, I'd forgotten about that. I looked in the BIOS and it says my processor is AMD Athlon 64 3000+. Does that make a difference?