Detects upon startup.... but not when i get into BIOS

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
TheMuse
New visitors - please read the rules.

Well..hi all :lol:
I purchased a second hand MB it starts up fine....it detects the primary master (20Gb maxtor) and also the secondary master (LG CDROM)... but when i tried to use the CDROM it was not detected, i went into 'my computer' (win 98 ) and not there.
So i restarted, it detects it again, I go into setup and its not there.
I dont have much knowledge of computers it is just a hobby of mine...however im stumped.
The LG CDROM is the only CD drive i have installed.

Also could you please tell me how to obtain some numbers...serials etc so you guys can help me identify my MB...(i think it might be MSI.)

TY,
TheMuse.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

I suppose you didn't install the DOS CDROM drivers for it... These may conflict with Windows 98's own drivers.
TheMuse
New visitors - please read the rules.

I havnt installed any drivers.....my experience (be it little) i have just had to hook it up right, and it works...
Actually I am so new to computer hardware that the little experience i do have is with XP...this is the first older system i have tried to get running and it is proving difficult.

TheMuse.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

How did you install Win98?
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I have purchased an LG CD-ROM once, and like most other LG products I have seen, I did not think much of it. Not again I don't think.

However, I don't think my experience of LG CD-ROMs has anything to do with your problem.

If your BIOS is detecting the CD-ROM but Windows is not letting you access the drive, you will probably find in Device Manager a exclamation mark and problem with the secondary IDE controller. I have had this problem several times in the past and have recently found what appears to be the common cause. The following is easiest to correct when you have 1 HDD on the primary channel and 1 optical drive on the secondary channel.

1) Make sure your CD-ROM drive is jumpered to MASTER.
2) For a 40 wire cable, plug into the middle connector, with the mainboard at the end connector (You will probably require the longer stretch of cable between connectors to be between the mainboard and CD-ROM drive to do this, which is normally how I install ribbon cables.) For an 80 wire cable, plug into the end connector, with the mainboard at the opposite end connector.

Also, obviously, make sure the orientation of pin 1 is correct between the connectors. If this is incorrect your BIOS will also fail to detect the CD-ROM drive.

Once you have the cable installed in this way, then you should have Windows access to your CD-ROM drive after probably the first boot. Assuming this experience of mine is correct for your problem. I have found the problem to be, if I reember correctly, the cable position, or the jumpering of the CD-ROM drive, or a combination of both (in that order).
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

TheMuse wrote:Also could you please tell me how to obtain some numbers...serials etc so you guys can help me identify my MB...(i think it might be MSI.)
Try this.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"