Drivers appear in but Memory Card not listed as a drive

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
PLC
New visitors - please read the rules.

Trying to move images from my camcoder to my PC. I've installed the driveres. The Drivers appear in Device manager but the Memory Card does not appear as a removable drive on my PC, in My Coputer or Windows Explorer. The system works on a laptop I have, so I know it's not the drivers or camcorder or memory card. I'm running W98SE, have an AMD Athlon(tm) Processor 702 MHz, and 128K memory. A few folks have suggested it might be my BIOS, American Megatrends 07/17/00 (according to Norton's Systemworks. How can I find out? And if the problem is with the BIOS, do I have any options? Thanks.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Microsoft Windows Knowledgebase has some issues noted, particularly with VIA chipsets. The BIOS date is insuficient info for us to help; tell us more about your motherboard.
PLC

Can you tell me where on my computer I can get info about my mother board? I don't see anything under "System Information" on Norton's SystemWorks. Thanks.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Either get the info from your owners manual, or open the box and look on the motherboard itself for identifying markings.

If I get you right, the drivers you installed are for the camera...right? Since you do have a working system on the laptop, I would guess that something didn't install properly when you tried setting it up on the desktop. Double check...make sure you didn't miss anything.

:arrow: Does the memory card appear as a drive on the laptop?

:arrow: What type of camcorder?
PLC

Motherboard (from the box): AMD K7 Series mainboard

From the User's manual: GA-7ZX series, Via KT133 chipset, 7ZX Series AMD Athlon AGP Motherboard

Summary of Features:
CPU: AMD Athlon (K7) Socket A Processor; 256K/64K 2nd cache on die; Supports 500 MHZ - 1G and faster
Chipset: Apollo KT133, consiting of: VT8363 Memory/AGP/PCI Controller (PAC); VT82C685\6A PCI super-I/O integrated Peripheral controller (PSIPC). BIOS- Licensed AMI BIOS, 2M bit flash ROM; Support dual BIOS (optional)

There's also info on Clock Generator, Memory, I/O control, Slots, On-Board IDE, On-Board Peripherals, Hardware monitor, PS/2 Controller, On-Board Sound and Additional Features (including support USB KB/MS Wake up from S3).

> If I get you right, the drivers you installed are for the camera...right?
Yes, I installed the drivers for the camera. When the camera is attached, I can see the remote drive in my Norton's Utility, but no in My Computer or Windows Explorer. The computer recognized the harware. I had a JVC support tech help me through the installation process after I tried a few times, so I'm sure I am doing it right. Did the same thing on my laptop and it works there.

> Double check...make sure you didn't miss anything.
Have installed it several times, including with the JVC tech's help. I have a removable "G" drive associated with my USB Canon multifunction unit that appears in my Norton's utility but not on my computer as well.

> Does the memory card appear as a drive on the laptop?
Yes, I was able to open files on the laptop the other day, and move them to a floppy. It's under My Computer as a drive.

> What type of camcorder?
I have a JVC GR-DVL725u camcorder

Thanks!
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

There are at least five different boards listed at http://www.giga-byte.com under GA-7ZX series, 2 for KT133 and 3 for KT133A. You need to check the memory count screen on boot and tell us what the BIOS ID message (lower left) and BIOS OEM message (upper left) are. Also Gigabyte are pretty good at putting the board model in big white letters on the board.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

The notebook is running Win98SE too...??

USB Canon multifunction unit...I didn't understand this.

Does Norton show any problems with the "G" drive? I would think that if Norton sees it, Windows should too (I believe in Norton products 100%, but then again it isn't GOD and may be confusing the real issue here...).

I also guess you installed this on the laptop yourself with no trouble.

Not having one of these cameras, I'm guessing you do your camcorder thing, then if you want to transfer images to the computer for editing or to e-mail to your friends, you connect it via USB and transfer (it also has FireWire I see...can you try that, or no port on the PC?). The camera acts as a medium to support the memory card as a removable drive. If you don't have a memory card in it, I guess it shows as "no drive installed" or something of that nature...correct...or can't you do that??

Can you use the camera on the computer real-time, or doesn't it or the supplied software support that? Just wondering if the camera is recognized, but just not the Memory Card part. You seem to indicate that it can see the camera...
PLC

> There are at least five different boards listed at http://www.giga-byte.com under GA-7ZX series, 2 for KT133 and 3 for KT133A.

As you can tell, I'm not an under the hood guy. I just went under. Man, is it dusty. I've dusted with a with a soft art paint brush. But I digress. Under the hood in white letters I see:

in Big letters: FC
smaller letters: GA72X
Big letters: CE

Other things I see under the hood:
ADM DURON 700 MHZ

AMI BIOS
AL03
4 9 4 0

Gigabyte
Dual BIOS

V/A
VT82C686A

Looking more closely at the ADM box, I see:12BB1-09EAK-01
and
K7BOXSizeDE0007a

> You need to check the memory count screen on boot and tell us what the BIOS ID message (lower left) and BIOS OEM message (upper left)

Is there any way to stop the screen so I can read this. I goes by so fast.

> The notebook is running Win98SE too...??
Yes. Full install. No upgrade. The PC has been upgraded online.

> USB Canon multifunction unit...I didn't understand this.
My all in one (printer, scanner, fax, copier) is connect via USB. There is a removable G drive (don't know why) under Norton's that belongs to the Canon. It does not appear under My Computer either.

> Does Norton show any problems with the "G" drive?
No problems.

> I also guess you installed this on the laptop yourself with no trouble.
Yes. If I had not done that, I'd still think it was all me instead of my PC. IT could still be me, but....

> Not having one of these cameras, I'm guessing you do your camcorder thing, then if you want to transfer images to the computer

Still images. I can take snap shots and they are stored on the memory card. That's what I want to transfer to the PC now. Not the video. For that, I need FireWire, etc. On the laptoop, the snapshots appear as JPGs.

> Can you use the camera on the computer real-time, or doesn't it or the supplied software support that?
Nope. Not a web cam.

Norton's sees the memory card as a removable drive (H), but the drive does not show up under my computer so I can't transfer images to my hard drive and email them or put them on my web site or print them.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

PLC wrote:smaller letters: GA72X
I'll take that as GA7ZX.
> You need to check the memory count screen on boot and tell us what the BIOS ID message (lower left) and BIOS OEM message (upper left)

Is there any way to stop the screen so I can read this. It goes by so fast.
I use the full memory test. That usually takes long enough. Alternatively, find CTBIOS.EXE. Results are in German, but never mind.
e.g. at http://www.biosworld.com/ctbios.htm, download button at the bottom of the page
KachiWachi
The New Guy

OK on the Cannon All-in-One...

I wonder why the Cannon has a component that shows itself as a HD...again not owning one. The printer part is obviously a printer, the scanner/copier is a twain component, and the fax is like a modem...unless it has some data storage capabilities built-in, then it may show a HD component somewhere (does it's manual say that will happen??).

Is the Cannon loaded on the notebook as well?

Obviously the USB *seems* to work, since you have another device loaded and operating properly on that bus...

Maybe NickS will find something out BIOS-wise once you give him the full string...
PLC

Thanks for all your help to date. A friend suggested I just give up and wait until I get a new computer in a year or so, but with all this generous help I've become determined to get to the bottom of it!

I searched my hard drive using "Find" and could not find a bios.exe, but found a bios.txt:

Program: Unicore BIOS Wizard Version 1.9
Program: Unicore Chip Detect v0.72 2000.03.10
BIOS Date: 07/17/00
BIOS Type: American Megatrends
BIOS ID: 62-0717-001199-00101111-071595-KT133
Chipset: VIA 82C305 rev 2
Superio: VIA 686 rev 34 found at port 7h

Also downloaded the BIOS program suggested:

Maustreiber : Microsoft kompatiblel
Version : 08.30
Maustyp : PS/2-Maus auf IRQ0
Bus : ISA/PCI
Hauptspeicher : 640 KB, davon verfügbar : 640 KB
Extended Memory : 65535 KB
BIOS Date : 07/17/00
PCI-BIOS gefunden : Version 02.10
Konfigurations-Mech. : 1
Special-Cycle-Mech. : 0
PCI-Busse : 2
32-Bit-PCI-BIOS : Revision:0
AMI-BIOS found : Version 07.17, Date 15.07.95
Processor : P6
BIOS : Reference Number : 00
OEM ID : 1199 = GIGA BYTE CO., LTD.
URL : http://www.gigabyte.com.tw
Chipset : KT133
Maus via KeybCtrl : nein
Takt-Umschaltung : nein
Cache-Umschaltung : nein
BIOS Modified Flag : 0

INT-13h BIOS Extension: ja, Version:1.x, Fknt 41..48 unterstützt

If there is anything else I should do, let me know. Next time I boot up the computer I will try again to note the information that comes up on the screen as well.
PLC

This is the information I got off the screen on boot up:

American Megatrends
Released 07/17/2000
AMI BIOS C 1999

KT133-GA72X001-F

Hope that helps.