Full BIOS Menu Not Available

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
Alchad
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi,

Came across this site when searching for info on a problem I've got with a music server which is basically a computer in a different guise. It's based on a mini ITX motherboard has a large hard drive and a good quality CD drive, the whole thing is menu driven via a link to my TV and hi-fi and a remote control

Anyway I've got a problem with the server because I lost the on screen menu, although the manufacturers background wallpaper design still appears but the menu doesn't - all i get is a black band.

Point of my visit here is that digging around I found that on startup I can access the BIOS menu's (using information provided by the server manufacturer), but the options available are very much reduced to those shown as being available from the motherboards manual. I suspect that the manufacturer of the server has customised the screens so that some options are not available to users - which is fair enough, somebody is bound to play about and mess things up. My first question is whether this BIOS modification is actually likely, or am I wrong and the motherboard was actually provided like that.

Second question, I'd like - out of curiosity and to try and sort the problem - to flash the BIOS according to the latest version on the motherboard's website. If I did this would I cause any problem. I was thinking as a safe option of trying to buy a identical BIOS chip and use that so I still had the original as backup.

Finally, I don't know, but I think that the operating system of the server is Windows CE. Does this make any differerence to flashing the BIOS.

Many thanks

Alchad
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Most likely the operating system on the harddisk has gone wrong, better try the support from the appliance manufacturer (name on the box) first.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...