hard disk size problem

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
jimuck
New visitors - please read the rules.

Need some help here. When i boot up the hard drive is recognised correctly as 3.228gb but when i go to fdisk it says it is only 3.08gb! any ideas? I have a pc chips 560 m/board.

James
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

It's correct. HDD manufacturers use 1MB = 1000KB instead of the "real" 1MB = 1024KB.

3.228 GB = 3228000 KB according to HDD manufacturers, but if the "real" conversion factor is used, then 3.228 GB shrinks to the "real" 3.078 GB, rounded off to 3.08 GB by FDISK.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

ajzchips wrote:It's correct. HDD manufacturers use 1MB = 1000KB instead of the "real" 1MB = 1024KB.

3.228 GB = 3228000 KB according to HDD manufacturers, but if the "real" conversion factor is used, then 3.228 GB shrinks to the "real" 3.078 GB, rounded off to 3.08 GB by FDISK.
Just to add to that, from http://www.forums.pctechguide.com/:
"International Electrotechnical Commission: the body that attempted to resolve the confusion surrounding the use of “MB” to mean either binary megabytes and decimal megabytes – depending on context – by their approval, in late 1998, of names and symbols for prefixes for binary multiples for use in the fields of data processing and data transmission. The acceptance of the symbols - “Ki”, “Mi”, “Gi” etc. – by the PC industry has been somewhat disappointing.
Kibibyte: a unit of measure consisting of 1024 bytes. One of the names and symbols for prefixes for binary multiples for use in the fields of data processing and data transmission approved as an IEC International Standard in December 1998. See also MiB, GiB and TiB."
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
jimuck
New visitors - please read the rules.

Thanks for the quick reply. never had this problem before, but this was an older drive I picked up for backup and I thought that something was wrong with part of it and was not showing up in the size. anyway all's well that end's well as they say.

James