How to access Bios on a compaq presario

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
robertlau
New visitors - please read the rules.

Greetings, My officemate claims he cannot enter the bios on his compaq presario. The machine is 1.5 to 2 years old.. What are the keystrokes?
Thanks very much...
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

F1 or F10 when you hear the double beep on startup.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Toby B
Compaq-Fu Master

If its only 1.5 to 2 years old I doubt the speaker is functional.

On startup when the Compaq splash screen comes up, you will see a blinking white cursor in the upper right hand corner. When you see that blinking cursor press the F10 key repeatedly.
Compaq-Fu Master
QLeap
New visitors - please read the rules.

I've searched through pages of forum posting and haven't had much luck. I'm trying to install Linux on an old Presaio 5528 (a combined computer & monitor with a whopping 24MB of RAM!!). I want to boot from CD to do the install. I get no splash screen and have tried the F1, F10, INS, Alt + F1/F10 to access the BIOS. Sometimes I get a keyboard error, but no BIOS screen. I followed links from the forum to the HP help site, and found no useful help. Is it true the BIOS settings are stored on the hard drive, so if I reformat it I'll lose the settings? Thanks in advance for any help.
soupy
Absentee administrator

QLeap wrote:I've searched through pages of forum posting and haven't had much luck. I'm trying to install Linux on an old Presaio 5528 (a combined computer & monitor with a whopping 24MB of RAM!!). I want to boot from CD to do the install. I get no splash screen and have tried the F1, F10, INS, Alt + F1/F10 to access the BIOS. Sometimes I get a keyboard error, but no BIOS screen. I followed links from the forum to the HP help site, and found no useful help. Is it true the BIOS settings are stored on the hard drive, so if I reformat it I'll lose the settings? Thanks in advance for any help.
That's the way some were done, though I can't say for sure they did that with the 5528. You can check for yourself here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prod ... g=en&cc=ca
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.