How to generally determine motherboard VRM is dead?

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
Martin27
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi guys I have a question completely different to the main purpose of this forum, but I believe there are some great motherboard users here, who maybe are able to answer my question. I have several dead motherboards, lots of them for Socket A and some for Socket370. These boards are checked for leaking capacitors and bad flashed ROMs, everything is OK, but these mobos are though dead. My question is "how can I generally determine if there is voltage regulator module working in the mobo"?
Last edited by Martin27 on Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
cp
BIOS Guru

put in a known good cpu and measure the cpu voltage with a multimeter. you can even use an oscilloscope to measure the ripple if you're not sure about the capacitors.
if you don't have a cpu just put in some resistors that apply some load to the voltage regulation (not nice..but works for some first shot testing).
KachiWachi
The New Guy

If you are unsure, I would use test loads...because if there is a problem, you could destroy a perfectly good CPU.

Thanks.
cp
BIOS Guru

right, but since VRM rarely die..they are not the weakest part in the chain. other parts might blow up much earlier.