Intel MB BIOS hang on Win XP restart

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
Radioman
New visitors - please read the rules.

Just completed a system upgrade using Intel D945GNT MB, D820 Processor. BIOS is by Insyde and have flashed the latest available update from Intel site. System has two bootable drives, both with Win XP Home, one is IDE, other is SATA. Both XP systems run just fine with no problems whatever. However, if I select "Restart" from the "Turn of your computer" menu, the system will not restart and apparently hangs in the BIOS. Win XP shuts down OK, but after a few seconds the BIOS splash screen appears (just like on a normal boot). In the lower right hand corner I see "BIOS Settings <F2> 58". During successful boot, the 58 changes as the BIOS progresses and then Win starts. During these unsuccessful restarts, the splash screen hangs there forever and F2 will not get you into BIOS setup. It's as if it were waiting for something - maybe hard drive? - that is never going to happen. If I then power off and on, the system boots up correctly. This happens every time I try to restart. I've tried different value for HD Pre Delay in the BIOS, with no effect. Anyone have an idea on how to proceed?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

incompatible memory sticks can do this.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Radioman
New visitors - please read the rules.

:D Found a clue a Tom's Hardware that provided a solution. I turned off USB Legacy support in the BIOS and that solved it. To verify, I turned it on again and it failed every time. Never fails with it turned off. According to Tom, USB legacy support is needed only for USB attached keyboards. This is clearly a BIOS problem, and maybe sometime the Insyde guys will find out about it and resolve it. I was unable to find any way to contact either Insyde or Intel to inform them of the problem and solution. In the future, I'll stick to a motherboard with a more conventional BIOS and discussion forums.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Insyde problem. Never seen anything like this before. Insyde is a new player on the bios market it seems and they have some stuff to learn apparently...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...