looking to upgrate bios

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
MAJIC
New visitors - please read the rules.

hello guies,

I hope I am in the right forum.
I have ibm computer. I purchased a seagate 120gb to replace my 2 giga
and i wanted to install a new xp. the diskwizard ask me which program i would install to the drive when i select xp then my computer don't start he posts me ndtlr missing boot from cd. and when i copy on this drive my old settings as windows Me and try to copy the new version of xp he freezes and shutdown itself. I can't boot with the disk setup for xp because my computer don't boot to the cdrom. I don't have the choice to select which hardware will boot first in my cmos.
I am sure you guies know better. But I think I need to upgrade the bios to be able to change setting in the cmos. What you think?
KachiWachi
The New Guy

What computer is this?

Does it recognize the 120GB HD fully?

It almost sounds like you are trying to do to many steps at one time.

If the drive is recognized, you have to copy the ME drive over first, reboot, then install XP over it, if that is your plan.

Otherwise, make the XP boot floppies (you need 6 diskettes if I remember correctly), boot from them, then install XP fresh (which might be a better idea, depending on what you are trying to do).
MAJIC
New visitors - please read the rules.

Thank you very much for your input. :lol:

My computer is a Ibm 300gl. I changed the case long time ago and I lost the model numbers and stuff. But I think my chip controller is Via vt82c596
I just wanted to ask you how can I get the disks boot for the xp?
KachiWachi
The New Guy

I know you can download them from Microsoft, as I had to do that at one time.

Get them here -

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;310994