Mouse not detected ??? Urgent help required

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
jaymz
New visitors - please read the rules.

My serial mouse does not get detected on either of the ports. i tried an old controller card which had 2 com ports enabled on it. Still my os does not recognise my serial mouse. My system's battery charge level is low and therefore the system bios reports a checksum error. I checked the condition of the battery and it had already started leaking. So i removed it and tried connecting a new one (CR2032 3v battery). The older battery was a different model which had an output of 3.2v 60ma. Even after changing the battery the same error is being reported by the bios and the system does function by loading the default values in the bios. Do you think that the system does not detect my mouse bcuz of the checksum error or is it bcuz the system loads default values in the bios. I did check up the default values and there are no entries were a com port is disabled.
Pls help me out on this one.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

I have had trouble with OS and serial mouse twice recently. One was a hardware problem where IRQ4 had died on the TX chipset; the port would work with HyperTerminal which does not use interrupts. The other required a re-installation of the OS (WIndows 95) to get rid of problems with the configuration. I would get a message saying there was no mouse detected, but if I continued the mouse would work - badly.
You can check the mouse by selecting the COM port in HyperTerminal; moving the mouse will then result in garbage being displayed on the screen.
I assume the checksum error is a "CMOS checksum error" not a "BIOS checksum error" as you are able to continue, and I assume that entering CMOS setup and exiting with save does not fix it. The CR2032 battery is used by most clock chips so should not really be the cause of the checksum error, but I would wonder whether any electrolyte has leaked out and is causing a partial short-circuit ? Or if it has corroded the contacts so that the battery is not making good contact ?
BurnMaster06
New visitors - please read the rules.

:idea: If you have a USB card installed, you could always use a USB mouse. One bad thing about that is that it wont work in Safe Mode.
vprMatrix 226R
Intel P4 @ 2.26GHz, 512mb ram, 80GB HD
52X Memorex CD-RW, Pioneer DVD-ROM
ATI Radeon 7500

Problem Creator & Worldwide Annoyance