multi keybds to same PC

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
gangsta
BIOS Rookie

I am looking for a home-made solution to hook multiple keyboards (users) to the same workstation which has multidisplay /multi-vga cards enabled (at the same time not switching) .

I know there are companies that sell expensive cards to do this , but these are just sound/vga cards with some expensive cables.
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

The only way you can connect more that one keyboard is USB.
I think that there is a software that can make one PC with two graphics cards, two keyboards and two mice act as two PCs, but don't know where to find it.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

If you only need to share the desktop with other users, get VNC and a network.
gangsta
BIOS Rookie

Rainbow wrote: a software that can make one PC with two graphics cards, two keyboards and two mice act as two PCs, but don't know where to find it.
thanks, that is what I am looking for. I'd appreciate any info from any one reading this thread regarding who makes this software ; or at least the name of the actual application.
gangsta
BIOS Rookie

edwin wrote:If you only need to share the desktop with other users, get VNC and a network.
I am afraid I am not sure what "desktop" are you referring to; a Desktop PC or the Windows Desktop.
I assume it was the first.

I have extra VGA cards, extra 10/base-t cards, extra modems, sound cards, and of course USB, PS2, Audio, COM, & VGA cables.

can't I employ all these together to achieve a multiuser scenario.

say for example, the main PC has 3 vga, 3 sound output, & 3 NICs. And a shared DSL connection.

first user = Word Processing or Office application
2nd user = Reading/writing POP3 e-mail or browsing the net
3rd user = Playing a game or some multimedia application

of course all of whom should be able to access the DSL net connection on demand. (I know ICS is another matter but I am just giving an example and DSL is not the matter at hand)

surely it would be a waste of money to go buy even more network cards if I can use the ones I have to achieve the same result. That is unless there is some benefits for having a VNC that I am not seeing here.

If you could elaborate on how this would work in an alternative VNC solution?

thanks
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Three seperate networked PCs, one VNC server, two VNC clients. A bit like PcAnywhere, but this one is freeware.

This seems not to be what you are looking for.
gangsta
BIOS Rookie

edwin wrote:Three seperate networked PCs, one VNC server, two VNC clients. A bit like PcAnywhere, but this one is freeware.

This seems not to be what you are looking for.
I get ya , but this is not what I am aiming for. I mean to use only one PC with 3 fold outputs for everything ; multi display, multi sound; multi keyboard & mouse. WithOUT PcAnywhere or Netmeeting.

Just assume like they are virtual desktops on the same PC but each is with a different monitor; mouse, keybd.

what I need is a software to be the "brains" of this whole operation...

I remember reading a review of one of these desktop sharing cards that mentions it installs some kind of server proggie that manages all this.
This was 3 years ago so a lot of things may have changed now.

In any case, where can I download this VNC server? let me give it a try ...
soupy
Absentee administrator

Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
gangsta
BIOS Rookie

went to that company's site , and after 30 min of searching I couldn't find a trace of that product CNN/idg is talking about. I checked th older news releases and yes hey had some thing back in June 2001 but now it is not on their product list for some reason ; must have been discontinued or some thing like that.

The price CNN mentioned was $200 for the additional desktop hookups (plus user must provide monitor, mouse, & keybd). It provides only 4mb VGA display...!
Moonwolf
New visitors - please read the rules.

Gangsta, i think ive seen this stuff before... in a tigerdirect catalog, actually. check www.tigerdirect.com i remember it being expensive, but it does exist.
gangsta
BIOS Rookie

thx moonwolf
As you said, they are quite expensive for the sum of their parts. I have seen them in the local shops 2 years ago but the price was an overkill.
Of course we need a server/proggie to make it work. ???
Moonwolf
New visitors - please read the rules.

i dont know if this is what you are looking for, exactly, but the part numbers on www.tigerdirect.com for the slitters are: Mouse: p55-1002 keyboard: p55-1004 Monitor: p55-1012 Mouse+keyboard on USB: p55-1020. There is also another one, that i cannot find right now that actually lets one computer function as two, i've seen it before. sorry i didnt give lnks. im looking at the catalog.
Hope it helps!
gangsta
BIOS Rookie

thx , i took a look just now , and they seem like normal Y splitters. As a matter of fact I have one USB->2 PS2 already but this is just a normal adapter.

Infact if one connects 2 Kbs or 2 mice they both control the same cursor .
What I am talking about is sort of a virtual Desktop splitter, where each user has a different desktop used for a different activity than the other user on the same PC. This cannot be accomplished by mere splitters -- which are not the real issue here.

Computers running win98 + OS can handle multiple desktop display but that requires in addition to the hardware, a software plug-in / server application, that tells windows explorer how to handle each use.

If you look thru Windows 98 Help you should find a reference to Multi Display support; which by default allows for another set of keyboard-mouse input..... but what kind of proggie handles that? we need more than just a driver you know.

so this is my delimma

The item you said you couldn't find on tiger.com to make a pc function as two is basically a "2nd sound+ 2nd VGA+ 2nd input" single card package that does that . But if you already have a bunch of additional PCI cards not plugged in; why not put them to good use to support a 2nd user desktop or more. All that is missing is a proggie to handle them.

Now we need help with that point. Hardware multi/splitting is not really a problem right now.

I hope you see my point.
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

$80 per user. Can't buy an additional system for that...

http://www.thincomputinginc.com/betwin/download.html